Moving Activity Completion checkbox in 2.6

Moving Activity Completion checkbox in 2.6

by James M -
Number of replies: 10

Hello everyone,

I upgraded from Moodle 2.5 to 2.6 yesterday, and that seems to have broken the custom CSS code that moves the activity completion checkboxes from the right to the left (beside the assignment name). I tried the code listed at http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Activity_completion_FAQ, but it doesn't work. The boxes stay on the right. I also searched the forums, but didn't see a fix to this issue. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James M

Re: Moving Activity Completion checkbox in 2.6

by Teresa Gibbison -

Hi James

Try: 

.section .activity .actions {
  left:0;
  position:absolute;
  top:0;
}

I hope this helps smile

Cheers
Teresa

In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by James M -

Thanks, Teresa. I do appreciate the suggestion. While that's a step in the right direction, that also moves the edit button to the left and pretty much puts the move/edit/checkbox on top of one another, making them almost unusable when editing a page. I guess this is a design flaw we'll have to learn to live with. 

Just a general complaint to the Moodle folks: I don't know when or where, in the entire history of mankind, completion checkboxes were put on the far right of a page, or why this suddenly seems the thing to do, but I ask that you reconsider. A recent release of the software OmniFocus (a task app) also put the boxes on the far right and customers have already started complaining, to the point Omni put in a secret setting to move the boxes back to the left. For many, it's just our natural instinct to check boxes off beside the name of the thing. Further, having the boxes on the right may be good on a tiny smartphone screen, but on a large computer screen, it plain sucks. As someone else griped, it gets hard figuring out which box is which. While an actual setting to decide where they go would be nice, being able to move them through CSS was at least a workaround. Now, it seems even that is gone. That's frustrating.

One last thing: someone may also want to update the help, since the previous functioning code no longer works in 2.6.  

In reply to James M

by Teresa Gibbison -

Ahh yes, you're right - I hadn't turned editing on when I quickly tried that one!

I also tried the following which works OK on 2.5 but not 2.6 or 2.7!

.path-course-view li.activity span.autocompletion, .path-course-view li.activity form.togglecompletion {
    float: left;
}

I have since found a tracker item - https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34729 and https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31603 which we can vote for smile

Cheers
Teresa

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

Re: Moving Activity Completion checkbox from right to left

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've just edited the documentation; thanks Theresa and James, and if anyone has a good suggestion to replace the old code (which doesn't break anything wink) it would be useful to know.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by sirisha g@ -

Can anyone please help me with moving "activation completion- check boxes" from right to left on moodle  2.7 version.

In reply to sirisha g@

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Hi all, we are updating to Moodle 2.7 and just ran into this. I think this fix should work, placed into the custom.css of your theme. I have not tested it with non-english LTR modes though. This is pretty much the same as the previous 2.5 code, with the addition of the .section .activity .actions part.

So far with my liimited testing this work even when editing activities.

/* Completion Checkbox Left of Activity Icon and Align Checkboxes Full Left */

.section .activity .actions {

position: relative;

}

.path-course-view li.activity span.autocompletion, .path-course-view li.activity form.togglecompletion {

float: left;

margin-left: -15px;

}

/* Small Space Between Checkbox & Icon */

.path-course-view .section .activity img.activityicon

{ padding-left: 1em; }

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mathew Gancarz

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Added to https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Activity_completion_FAQ, though I have only tested it in 2.7

by sirisha g@ -

It works! ..Thank you So much .

In reply to sirisha g@

by Mark Iannone -

I have used this code to move the check boxes to the left successfully, however, the heading "Your Progress" is still on the right. Does anyone know how to move the heading?

Thanks,

Mark

by sirisha g@ -

Hello Mathew

I have upgraded the moodle from 2.7 to 2.8. It seems like few of the check boxes have moved from left to right. Could you please help me with this? Thanks in advance.