Choice limits and time critical choices

Choice limits and time critical choices

од Ralf Hilgenstock -
Број на одговори: 4
Слика од Core developers Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Translators

From time to time we get feedback about problems with Choice module. Specially at the beginming of a semester universities uses the choice module to organize groups or give students options to select topics for a course with limited options per choice. The choice is opened at a predefined date and time. Lots of students start to select their choice at the same moment. Often the limits are not used correct  and more than the allowed number of students can select an option.

My assumption is that the availabilty of an option is checked when the form is opened by a student but not again if s/he is saving the selected option.  Can anybody tell me if this assumption is correct?

If this is correct we can solve this problem only if a second check is made if the student has selected then option and stores data, with a message 'thanks we've stored your choice' or 'sorry in between an other student has selected the option and the limit is 'full, please select an other option.' If student is unseccssfull he should see the form again to make a new selection.

Ralf

Просек на рејтинзи: -
Во одговорот до Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Choice limits and time critical choices

од Dan Marsden -
Слика од Core developers Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Peer reviewers Слика од Plugin developers Слика од Plugins guardians Слика од Testers Слика од Translators

Hi Ralf, 

there's a patch in MDL-23273 that tidies this up a bit but no-one has had a chance to look at it yet! - feel free to help encourage that one along! смешко

Во одговорот до Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Choice limits and time critical choices

од Teresa Gibbison -

We've seen this - as Dan points out two or more students saving their choice at the same time goes over the limit however...  I have also seen the limit not working when group mode is on (often by default via the course settings).

Teachers don't realise that if group mode is on the limit is relevant for each group rather than the whole class.  I wonder if there needs to be a separate option for the limit - eg. apply limit to a) each group b) entire course.

What do other's think about this group thing?

Teresa