branch naming

branch naming

deur Cathal O'Riordan -
Getal antwoorde: 3
Prentjie van Core developers
Hi,

Just wondering if someone could provide some guidance on feature or bug fixing branch naming in Moodle? I see that some branches are prefixed with 'wip-' and others take the format 'MDL-12345'. What's the difference? Is there a preferred naming scheme that people contributing patches is expected to follow?

regards,
Cathal.

Gemiddeld van beoordelings: -
In antwoord op Cathal O'Riordan

Re: branch naming

deur Tim Hunt -
Prentjie van Core developers Prentjie van Documentation writers Prentjie van Particularly helpful Moodlers Prentjie van Peer reviewers Prentjie van Plugin developers

There are no requirements on branch name, just on commit comments.

Obviously you want a name that is clear, so you obviously need the issue id MDL-12345, and also some indication of which branch it is for.

When you come to submit your branch for peer-review, then you give the branch name.

I suggest you look at the various variations that people use, and choose the one you think looks nicest.

Gemiddeld van beoordelings:Useful (1)
In antwoord op Cathal O'Riordan

Re: branch naming

deur David Mudrák -
Prentjie van Core developers Prentjie van Documentation writers Prentjie van Moodle HQ Prentjie van Particularly helpful Moodlers Prentjie van Peer reviewers Prentjie van Plugin developers Prentjie van Plugins guardians Prentjie van Testers Prentjie van Translators

I personally use the format that the mdk utility uses by default, too: MDL-12345-27-shortdesc (fix for MDL-12345 to be merged to MOODLE_27_STABLE). The short description helps to quickly remind me what the branch is for without the need to open the tracker (in case you have couple of them).

The wip- prefix is sort of relict from early times we started with Git. In Git world, there is one general rule that one should not rebase a branch once it was published (because others might base their own work on such branch). So we thought it would be a good idea that when a branch starts with wip- (work in progress), it gives a clear sign that the developer may want/need to rebase it yet. However, it turned out that no-one really needs such rule as 1) most of our branches are bug fix branches and 2) most branches are being rebased quite often (weekly). So I do not think that wip- plays any significant role any more.

Gemiddeld van beoordelings:Useful (2)