Manual installation and upgrade question

Manual installation and upgrade question

by Richard Lippert -
Number of replies: 1

I currently have Moodle 2.3.6 installed on a shared domain (Bluehost) that was initially installed by their 3rd party called Simple Scripts which is now called Mojo Marketplace.  Mojo does not offer/support my upgrade to 2.7.  

I have a break in class work delivery and would like to do to manually.  It seems that some of the backup features do not appear, or I can't find them, to do a complete backup of my courses so I can do the manual install of 2.7.

The latest version that mojo offers is 2.6.2. 

Looking for guidance: Should I delete the folder where the 2.3.6 install is and then do a fresh manual install of 2.7 from the moodle.org website.  Then, work on getting my courses back in the system? 

Thank you for guidance for a novice.

~Rick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Lippert

Re: Manual installation and upgrade question

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

First, make sure that your server has the correct versions of php and mySQL for Moodle 2.7.

Then, see if you can discover where (i.e., the folder) your moodle is installed, where your moodledata folder is, and the name of your moodle database.  Knowing these things will help prevent you from clobbering anything.

You can actually have as many installs of moodle on your hosted server as long as you have space.  If you want to try installing moodle 2.7 from scratch, think about some kind of consistent structure and names of everything.

For example, 1) create a new moodle database called moodle27. 2) Create a new moodledata folder called moodledata27. 3) Install your new moodle into a folder called moodle27, making sure to point the install to your ...27 items.

Then, you can access your new moodle by typing www.yourdomainname.com/moodle27 into your browser.

Thats about it (for now, until you have a few more questions.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)