Moodle 2.4 Enrollment plugin => Flat file (CSV) question

Moodle 2.4 Enrollment plugin => Flat file (CSV) question

by Judy Hsu -
Number of replies: 20

Hi all, thanks for your help in advance.

I'm new to the feature of Moodle 2.4 Enrollment "Flat file (CSV)" feature. Couple of quick questions here:

1. I noticed that it has a option to "notify enrolled users" (or the old wording in Moodle 2.4 "Notify students by email." Is it possible to customize the email content of this notification email? Does anyone know what it's like for the notification email?

2. Can I use this feature to send out an automated "Welcome" email to new students, and include a randomly assigned initial password? Does such feature exist in Moodle 2.x, or does this really have to be done through something like Joomla + Moodle integration (www.joomdle.com) or something similar? What would be the easiest way to automate this process?

Thanks for your help!

Judy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Judy Hsu

Re: Moodle 2.4 Enrollment plugin => Flat file (CSV) question

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, if you don't include a password in the csv file, Moodle will do this automatically.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Emma,

Is it possible to auto user  account create in moodle ( getting user details from another DataBase ) the same user same time auto enroll  to particular course.

In reply to kishore kommireddy

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, look at documentation on Database Authentication and Enrollment.

by kishore kommireddy -

Emma,thanks for almost Quick turn around.

But here still I have one concern here . I have local machine (local DB) we called as LMS having the all data of students. But previously we are creating moodle account and enrolling done by manually. But in this time I want to connect to my local DB(LMS) and I want to collect the data from that local DB and I want to mapping this data in to moodle for auto user registration and auto course enroll. Is this work flow is possible or not and please suggest some links for reference. Because of previously I don't have  experience with moodle.

by Emma Richardson -

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Emma thanks for your support.

But in my moodle site

Location: Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > External database  I am not having this option. Could you explain how I can resolve this issue. Is there any alternative for this Issue.

Attachment authentication.PNG

by Emma Richardson -

Go to Manage Authentication and open the Eye to enable it.

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Emma,

Currently I am using moodle 2.6 and php myadmin. But I tried to upload CVV file in Data Base type. But there is no action (nothing is going here).May I know why it happens.

And  I want to get the data from in this CVV file to moodle database(student details).Is there any code is required to get this values. Please do needful . Because of I don't have knowledge on  php.

by Emma Richardson -

External database authentication is a way to connect directly to your external database.  You should not be uploading anything here.  Please read the documentation.

If you just want to upload users with a CSV file, look at this: https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Upload_users

by kishore kommireddy -

Thanks Emma, but here is it possible to upload users automatically by using this csv file. Manually only we can done this right.

by Emma Richardson -

The upload is a manual process. 

Again, the external database method should be able to connect directly to your database and read changes to it.  However, I am not sure what a CVV file is?  What program is your database in?  Did you read the documentation?

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Emma,Thanks for almost quick turn around.

Already i read this documentation. But I have a little bit confusion here. Here I am using csv file (it contains all students data).I have using csv file as a database. By using this csv file I want to get the data for moodle.

what is my intension is I have a csv file (I am taken  it is a database) by using this csv file I want to upload students  automatically and as well as auto enroll these students to specific course.

I hope you can understand now, please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.

by Emma Richardson -

A csv file is not a database.  To do something automatic, you need to have your users in an actual database like MySQL or Access or Oracle, e.g.  You would be better in the long run to set up some sort of database on a server that Moodle can access and import your users into that from your csv file.  Then, when you make changes, they will be synced across to Moodle.

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Emma,

In moodle I want to sent a auto mail to student when he fail to write test on/before date. Is this possible or not in moodle could you help me.

Thanks in advance.

by Emma Richardson -

No, you cannot set up emails on specific reasons like that unfortunately.  Moodle will email them when they submit the test or when they receive a grade.

by kishore kommireddy -

thanks Emma for great effort,

In moodle is it reminder email (suppose I have to create one course in moodle the moodle  will sent reminder email to students before starting date of the course and before end date of the course) can we do these things in moodle...?

by Emma Richardson -

Unfortunately not.  There are only a few emails that Moodle does automatically - you might look in the plugins to see if anyone has something like that.

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Emma,

In moodle I want to sent a auto mail  to enrolled users who haven't completed their course. Is it possible in moodle,please do needful.