Installation help

Copying Moodle folder from test install

Picture of Nathan Bruley
Copying Moodle folder from test install

Is it OK to test an upgrade on a test server and then simply copy the moodle folder over (with all the code modifications) to production when you're ready, or are changes made to the moodle folder during an upgrade process that would mess Moodle up?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: Copying Moodle folder from test install
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think that you have to treat Moodle as containing both the moodledata folder, and the mySQL database.  When I move my Moodles around for experimenting, I always keep these together (meaning that have to restore both).

Picture of Nathan Bruley

Thanks, Rick.

My question mostly pertains to the Moodle framework, not the data itself (e.g. the Moodle upgrade, theme and plugins). If I don't care about the actual data, would this work?

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

If by 'framework' you mean the Moodle program code (as opposed to uploaded files in $CFG->dataroot or database data), then the only thing that can change those, once downloaded, is you. 

So, yes, you can just copy the files to your new destination along with your modifications. 

If you are going to modify the code I would strongly encourage you to investigate version control - ideally Git (see http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Git_for_developers)

Picture of Nathan Bruley

Great, thanks.

I already looked briefly at git and thought it would be nice... but probably not worth the trouble to figure out at this point. I only have a few modifications here and there, some of which are probably not needed in 2.6.3 any more anyway.

Picture of John-Paul B

Hi Nathan,

If you used an installer like Softaculous, you can also clone your site. Here is a helpful guide:

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/cpanel/softaculous/cloning-your-site

I hope this help,

John-Paul

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

It's up to you - but I would *strongly* recommend you do not use these scripted installers. It's absolutely no harder to install "manually" and has the enormous advantage that you know what you did. It's somewhere between hard and impossible to provide support for users who have installed using softaculous and its friends.