Students able to see Q&A posts before posting their own responses

Students able to see Q&A posts before posting their own responses

by Richard Crawford -
Number of replies: 9

Using Moodle 2.3.2, and due to heavy customizations, we are unable to upgrade.

We have a forum type Q&A set up in one of our classes. Students are not able to post new questions to the forum, which seems correct. However, they *are* able to see responses made to the questions before they have made a post of their own, which doesn't seem right. I've tried messing around with permissions, but can't seem to get this work properly.

Am I missing something here?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Crawford

Re: Students able to see Q&A posts before posting their own responses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well I saw on twitter you had said 'true to their nature' you hadn't received a reply - so  I felt I should offer a reply wink  Perhaps people haven't responded because there doesn't seem to be an immediately obvious answer you might have missed. So - some troubleshooting How did you post the question? Was it started as a new thread (which is fine) or was it in the forum summary? Are you using groups? (For anyone who gets here via Google, there are some docs on the Q and A forum in Using forum )

Also, I would restore all permissions back to default on there before we explore any further.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Crawford -

Hi Mary. I admit I was frustrated by a number of things when I had my little outburst on Twitter, but thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.

To answer your questions:

1. The questions are posted as new threads, not in the forum summary.
  2. We are not using groups.
  3. I restored all permissions to default throughout the site and in the forum itself. And, just to be sure, I created another Q&A forum with the same properties.

We are still experiencing the issue, both with existing Q&A forums and the new forum I just created.

Thanks again. smile

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Do you think it might have anything to do with any of your customisations? I'm asking because I can't test out the Q and A forum since I don't have a 2.3 to hand, and if it works on later versions, that doesn't really solve your problem, does it. Do the students only have the one role, ie, student in the course, and no roles in the "other roles" section? (Just diagnostics smile  )

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Crawford -

Hi Mary,

Yeah, I thought that maybe one of our customizations was causing the problem. I'm still examining that possibility, but I'm not sure how well it will work out; none of the changes I made were to the forum code itself.

The students only have the "student" role associated with them.

I'm starting to wonder if this is a bug in 2.3.2.

by Rob Johnson -

We did not encounter a bug with Q and A when we were on the 2.3 branch a couple of years ago.  Students were not able to see other replies until the editing time had passed.

by Derek Chirnside -

@Richard, that's alright.  We all get a bit frustrated with Moodle sometimes.

But seeing your twitter feed, https://twitter.com/underpope one wonders if there are alternative ways with less stress for you to occupy your days.

On interesting read!  https://twitter.com/underpope/status/481546037325074432

I do hope you are OK.  Running a highly customised Moodle is hard work.

-Derek

by Richard Crawford -

We seem to have resolved this halfway; there was a rogue "return true;" in lib.php at about line 5305. We commented it out, and now students do not see responses until they reply. We don't know if this was code we added (unlikely, though, since we're very good about documenting our changes, and this one was not documented).

Unfortunately, now admin users cannot see the responses, so there is still something wonky happening. Teachers can see all responses, though, which is what we need.

by Mary Cooch -

Thanks for posting back thoughsmile

by Kevin Wiliarty -

That ends up sounding like a capabilities issue. Have you ever tweaked your student role definition?