Grading a quiz that the student didn't close

Grading a quiz that the student didn't close

by Erica Vail -
Number of replies: 12
If a student takes a quiz but fails to submit it, can the teacher still grade it?  When I check the box next to it and click on "Regrade selected attempt" I get a box that has "100%" in it and then it prompts me to click "Continue."  It doesn't give me the option to grade each individual question manually and provide feedback.  Other than manually entering the grade into the grade book, is there any other way to grade a quiz that is still open?  The instructor would like to give feedback for each question.
I am on Moodle 2.5.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erica Vail

Re: Grading a quiz that the student didn't close

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is not possible. At least not yet.

This has been discusse several times in this forum. Sorry, I am not going to retype the answer now. Please Google.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry, not the most helpful post before. There is the key thread https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=212819 and MDL-35745 is the related tracker issue.

Hopefully we can add this to the Quiz FAQ.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have a look at How can a Never Submitted quiz be submitted? in the Quiz FAQ

In reply to Erica Vail

by Sam Mudle -

Basically set the quiz to unlimited attempts, then tell it to save previous answers.  Log in as the student and retake the quiz -- and submit the quiz.

Then as teacher you can grade it.  Yeah this always happens each year. Some student simply closes the browser and thinks that they have submitted the quiz.

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Tim Hunt -

But, the key point is, since Moodle 2.3, you have had the option to say that every in-progress attempt is automatically submitted when time expires  http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.3_release_notes#Quiz_module . If that is the behaviour you want, then choose that option.

But, you need to choose it before some student fails to submit their attempt.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sam Mudle -

I often have more than one class taking the same test at different times during the day so remembering to adjust the time is tough. 

If they close the browser will it still submit for them?

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Unless I am missing, and I usually am, can you not simply duplicate the quiz and set the times for each?  You can even set each to become visible as needed.

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Tim Hunt -

In the quiz administration block: Group overrides. You can set different close dates for different groups.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sam Mudle -

In the quiz administration block: Group overrides. You can set different close dates for different groups.

Bursts into tears as I have been using Moodle for 7 years and not know about this feature. sad

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If it makes you feel any better, it hasn't been around the full seven years!  Forget when it was added - somewhere in the 2. versions though.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tim Hunt -

I had to go and look it up. Looks like it was new in 2.0 http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.0_release_notes#Quiz_module_and_question_bank, 3.5 years ago.

Auto-submit was much more recent. My memory was right and that was 2.3 (2 years ago). http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.3_release_notes#Quiz_module However, the first version was pretty buggy, so probably only really reliably for the last 18 months or so.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Sam Mudle -

The funny thing is that I'd known about the user overrides to give make up quizzes to absent students, but completely forgot that I could use group overrides to control the start and stop times of my different periods throughout the day.