Course Administration Block Missing for Students

Course Administration Block Missing for Students

by keith Kemsley -
Number of replies: 7

When my students login, and select their name to visit their profile, the Administration Block is missing. Because of this, they are unable to edit their profile and they are unable to view their grades. Does anyone have any ideas on how to restore the administration block for students?

Attachment 6-20-2014 4-42-10 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to keith Kemsley

Re: Course Administration Block Missing for Students

by keith Kemsley -

Does anyone know how to restore the administration block for students?

In reply to keith Kemsley

by mark soliman -

I'm having the same issue... I've tried adding a new course and making sure the Admin block is visible throughout the entire site but still no luck.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

In reply to mark soliman

by Brad Knox -

Hi Mark,

I did find a solution that worked for me so thanks for reminding me to post it.

I spent hours going through the permissions of the role that was meant to have the admin block and in the end it had nothing to do with permissions. The strangeness of the block's behaviour should have been a clue that the problem was with the block itself.

I found a post where Mary described the process for deleting and re-adding the admin block. I'll try to find a link to it but from memory the process is:

Go to your site front page, Turn editing on.

you need to unlock the admin block first so you can delete it. Go to:

Admin > site admin > plugins >blocks > manage blocks

Click the padlock icon for the Admin block so that it looks unlocked.

Go back to your site home page.

You should be able to delete the Admin block now. Take a deep breath and delete the Admin block.

Scroll down to 'Add block' and select Admin.

After a nervous wait you should have a fully functioning and well behaved Admin block.

Don't forget to go back in to manage block's and lock it again.

I hope this works for you as it did for me. If there are any Moodlerooms / Joule user reading this I can confirm it works there too (my problem was on a Joule site but I run a VM of the matching release of stock Moodle on my desktop for testing and comparison, plus sometimes it's just nice to have access to the code)

Thanks to Mary Cooch for her solution, it saved me at the time.

Good luck!

Brad

In reply to Brad Knox

by Sanaz Parsaei -
HI Brad,
Thanks for the explanation. I followed the steps, but still my Administration block is missing in any other view other than Admin. however, for the teacher, I have turn on editing available, so I can access the admin block when in editing mode. for non-editing teachers I and not do anything, since there is no turn editing on.

I have "Non-editing teacher" who are supposed to grade the course. however when I log in as them, it does not show the course Administration Block. the Block:view is Allowed for the role. 

Permissions in Block: Administration is also show that View block permission is given to Non-editing teacher.

however when I check system permissions for any of my Non-editing teachers, it shows it is not allowed!

In reply to Sanaz Parsaei

by Sanaz Parsaei -

Hi, I found my issue:

The authenticated user needs permission to view block. Now it is working fine.

In reply to Sanaz Parsaei

by Vani Bheemreddy -

Hi

I have a similar issue.

A user who has manager role at category level(not site-wide) cannot see Administration block when in the category page (User wants to Manage that category to add a sub-category/edit category etc.) There is no Turn Editing On button either. There is only Add new course button. Once a course is added and when the user navigates to the course page, the Turn Editing On button is visible , upon clicking it the Administration block appears until Turn Editing Off is clicked again.

I checked block:view for Administration block is set to Allow for Manager role. Still a manager cant see it. Any idea why this is so? Our Moodle version is 2.6.