Email Dead for Students

Email Dead for Students

by Jez H -
Number of replies: 5
Read this recently:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/social-media/10864320/Email-is-dead-for-todays-students-who-prefer-Twitter-universities-say.html

"most students no longer checked their emails regularly and were choosing to tweet for help rather than wait for a response in their inbox." ... "Students will tweet for help if something has gone wrong"... "You can't leave things a week or two. Email is slower.”"

Not sure why their emails are taking two weeks, in my experience they take a few seconds to cross the Atlantic and bring a notification up on my phone.

That said, in an emergency its definitely quicker to tweet, subject lines and niceties are undoubtedly a hindrance:

The problem with reporting problems in this way is that the social media guru's manning the tweet deck 24/7 are rarely the font of all knowledge.
My experience goes something like this:

• User sends Tweet for Help
  • Social Media bod sends high priority email to someone in a department they think can help 
  • That person forwards the high priority email to someone who really can help
  • That person (me) replies by email to the Social Media bod and the person that forwarded it
  • Social media bod tries to condense reply down to 140 chars

Or they reply with Helpdesk details / email address...

Twitter has its place, it allows you to build an audience, easily point users toward something of relevance, Its great for simple FAQ relevant to lots of users. Along with that you have to deal with public criticism promptly and politely and for that you do need someone to keep on top of things. Social Media is important and convenient... for some things.

The main message I took from that article was these students are probably unemployable. In fact, a colleague recently emailed a "digital native" in connection with a job application, they never got a reply. We didn't have their Twitter Handle and if we did are not inclined to discuss recruitment publicly #downer

Average of ratings: Very cool (2)
In reply to Jez H

Re: Email Dead for Students

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Another thing about Twitter...

The only researcher I know who has looked into how Twitter affects social presence, i.e. the extent to which learners perceive their tutors and each other as "real people" in online learning communities, is Patrick Lowenthal at Boise State University. He used to be a big fan of using Twitter for this but after he got the student feedback from a project that he presented at a conference this year, he summised that it was one of the least effective tools.

As you say, Twitter's great for broadcasting news, making announcements, and linking to stuff you think's important and relevant in the moment. However, it's not a message to any particular person and cannot possibly replace personal messaging.

I wonder what those social media "gurus" and journalists are on? Or maybe they get paid by the word for what they write? Or maybe they're just told to write click-bait for their advertisers. Not really worth the time or trouble in my opinion.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Jez H

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Perhaps the key is in the final sentence: "You can’t leave things a week or two. Email is slower”?
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Visvanath,

Yes, email takes more or less the same time to get to its intended destination as Twitter. The issue in elearning is response times. Admins, support staff, teachers, and learners should, and usually do, come to an agreement of what the reasonable response times are, e.g. learners and teachers must respond to emails/messages within 48 hours, preferably within 24 or sooner during the week.

I think the main point that Jez is making is that SN services and email have different purposes and we shouldn't conflate the two or use either inappropriately. Similar to how tablet "converts" (the iPad and Starbucks crowd) try to do everything on their shiny new gadget and then complain that they can't be as productive, can't do, or can't access everything as they can with a laptop or desktop, blaming everything except the inappropriate tool that they're using. It's as if they expect the world to change immediately to fit their wishes.

In reply to Jez H

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Looking forward to hearing the good news that "Twitter is dead".tongueout

Joseph

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Jez H

by Sam Thing -
This week I've tweeted Ian Livingstone who wrote the fighting fantasy books with Steve Jackson 250px-Warlock_25th.jpg

He tweeted me back and retweeted one of my tweets:

I know that doesn't contribute much to the conversation here but I'm stoked!!! (<- Look, 3 exclamation marks.)