How to restrict Manager role from access to full Site Admin menu!

How to restrict Manager role from access to full Site Admin menu!

by Bob Kraus -
Number of replies: 1

My version of moodle: Moodle 2.6x

On page http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Manager_role it states that when you give someone the Manager role "users in that role will have access to only some of the items in Site administration. They do not have access to areas such as Security, Server, Plugins, Appearance, or Advanced Features, which are reserved for those in the Site administrators group."

By default, on each of my 6 Moodle sites, when I give someone the Manager role they see, and have access to, the entire Site administration menu (including Security, Server, Plugins, etc.). The only features that are available to a Site Admin that are restricted to Managers (that I can tell) is that they cannot edit the Site Admin profile, they cannot give the Admin role to another user, assigning a system role is limited as is their ability to use Capability overview (under permissions). I have avoided assigning this role to anyone because of this. Now from the above documentation it is clear to me that this should not be the case.

My question is simply how can I change this; limit the overly extensive access/privileges for this role? I cannot find any settings which control or restrict the Manager role to areas mentioned above (ones that should be only available to the Site administrator).

If these are to be found under the Define role capabilities, I certainly cannot find them. Also note that I have not changed any of the default setting in this area. I am using the default settings.

Thank you very much

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Kraus

Re: How to restrict Manager role from access to full Site Admin menu!

by Bob Kraus -

Please note: This issue has been resolved.

And in doing so another equally problematic permissions issue has come to light. It turns out that a person with the Manager role can hide the Administration menu for virtually the entire site and for all roles such that even the top level Admin can't see or navigate the Site administration menu!

I will post a more detailed explanation/question regarding this issue separately.