Installing Moodle 2.7 on CentOS 6.5 (with PHP 5.3.3)?

Installing Moodle 2.7 on CentOS 6.5 (with PHP 5.3.3)?

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi developpers,

Our server is running CentOS 6.5, with PHP 5.3.3, and i have a question :  

I know that Moodle 2.7 requires PHP 5.4.4, but Does Moodle 2.7 really use some PHP 5.4.4 features?

If not, i suppose it could be possible to use PHP 5.3.3 (cheating the installer), the time for CentOS 7.0 to be there?

I ask because our server admin preferes avoiding non standard packages from other repos.

Thanks for your answers,

Séverin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: Installing Moodle 2.7 on CentOS 6.5 (with PHP 5.3.3)?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

From a quick look at: http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration54.new-features.php

Yes, some of the new code uses the 'traits' feature, so PHP 5.4 is required.

I'm also very much looking forward to being able to use the foo()[0] syntax (for referencing arrays returned by functions) and $a = [1, 2, 3] (for instantiating arrays).

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers
I note the comment "your server admin prefers avoiding non-standard packages" but I have always found the Remi repositories to be a reliable source of more up-to-date PHP, MySQL etc for RedHat/CentOS/Fedora.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Martín Langhoff -
Remi Collet is the official maintainer of PHP in Fedora, so he ends up being the author of the packages in RHEL. He has his unofficial (but top-notch) repository of PHP 5.4 and 5.5 for EL6.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

Thank you all for your useful information!

Finally, with these arguments, server admin accepted to install PHP 5.4 smile

I will be able to upgrade to Moodle 2.7 soon.

Séverin

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Good news! Bravo Séverin and good luck for your upgrade.