Moodle 2.7 Install Issues!!!

Moodle 2.7 Install Issues!!!

by William Graves -
Number of replies: 5

Hello All, 

First I will give you all the server info then I will tell you my issue...

Sever OS: Ubuntu 

Apache: 2.2.22

PHP Version: 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.8

MySQL Version: 5.5.34-0ubuntu0.12.04.1

ZPanel Version: 10.1.0

I am a flight instructor in the Southeast US, after lots of requests from students I have made the choice to provide some online curriculum for students to use as guides for upcoming lessons,check-rides, etc. after installing the Moodle windows installer on my desktop and playing around with it I made the choice to use it as the platform for my future LMS. 

I am however running into one issue after the other I have followed the  install tutorial listed under the Moodle Documents to the T and I have also looked and watched several youtube video tutorials all to know avail, here are the steps I have taken thus far all to no avail-

I have created a database (domain_moodle) in MySQL and changed the language to Unicode

I created a user and linked that database to myself as the user

I create a folder called moodledata above the public_html folder

I then deleted the index.html and have dragged the files directly into the sub-domain folder using FileZilla, and I have also uploaded the zip to my sub-domain and then extracted the zip to the sub-domain folder using my c-panels file manager...

When I attempt to start the install process, I go to my training.domain.org/moodle and get errors saying the page doesn't exist or that it can't be found....  

I am clueless as to what I am doing wrong? Is there a step I'm missing? I am desperate to get this issue resolved and any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated thank you all in advance.

Will G.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Graves

Re: Moodle 2.7 Install Issues!!!

by Hunter Allspaugh -
Did you change Apache's configuration to point its document root to the correct location?
In reply to Hunter Allspaugh

by William Graves -

What do you mean?

by Hunter Allspaugh -
Do you remember the location of the index.html file you deleted?  That is Apache's default location that it looks to when it receives any http requests.  It should be /var/www/html.  What is the path to your moodle directory?  If it is different than Apache's default location, you will have to either change Apache's default document root or create a virtual host that points to the correct location. 

For instance, say your moodle directory is located at /var/www/moodle, you need to go into the apache2.conf, find where it lists:
<Directory /var/www/html/> and change it to <Directory /var/www/>

Then go to /etc/apache2/sites-available and create a new configuration file named moodle.conf.  It should contain the following:

<VirtualHost training.domain.org/moodle:80>
Servername training.domain.org/moodle
DocumentRoot /var/www/moodle
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm
</VirtualHost>

Then you need to create a symbolic link to the sites-enabled folder.  You can do this with sudo ln -s /etc/apache2/sites-available/moodle.conf /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/moodle.conf

Then after restarting apache it will be pointing at the directory you set for the Document Root in the virtual host.

All that being said, that is only the fix if you did not set your moodle directory in the default document root that apache is configured with.
In reply to Hunter Allspaugh

by William Graves -
I am not a tech savvy person at all can you dumb it down for me? I have tried finding that information but due to us having shared hosting I don't think I have access to that?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Did you unzip (or un-tar) the moodle program into training.domain.org/moodle?  You have me a little confused about where your sub-domain is and where your moodle is.  I don't do anything with sub-domains, and maybe you have good reason to.  I install my moodle into www.mydomain.com/moodle without using a sub-domain.

I am not sure if my comments will help, but I thought I would offer your some ideas to think about.