Review Mode/Course Completion Problem

Review Mode/Course Completion Problem

د Steve Lauen لخوا -
د ځوابونو شمیر: 14

Using Moodle 2.7 with SCORM 1.2 content developed using Articulate.

We are having problems with students not being able to complete SCORM-based courses if they exit and return to the course.  Here's a simplified example of what we are seeing with a course with one SCORM activity which consists of a couple slides followed by a three question SCORM quiz.  The user must get all three questions right to pass the quiz.

-- Student goes through the activity and does not pass the quiz. 

-- If they take the quiz again, without leaving the activity first, and answer all three questions correctly, everything works fine, and the activity is being marked as completed. 

-- If, instead of retaking the quiz, the the student exits from the course and then re-enters the course, they are shown as being in "Review Mode".   

-- Once in "Review Mode", even if they answer all the quiz questions correctly, the Moodle software never marks the activity as having been completed. 

In reviewing the student/course SCORM detail, it shows the following:

cmi.core.exit    suspend
cmi.core.lesson_status    failed

My assumption is that being in "Review Mode" is the root cause of these problems.

Based on some research, I've tried changing the "Grade to Pass" for the activity from 0 to 100, but this had no effect.

Can anyone provide advice on how to disable "Review Mode" entirely, or to provide a way for the course to be properly marked as completed when a user re-enters the course as described above?  

د درجې بندۍ اوسط:  -
In reply to Steve Lauen

Re: Review Mode/Course Completion Problem

د Erwin Ancheta لخوا -

Hi Steve,

I have the same issue.

If the student wants to make up and retake the quiz again, It can not be recorded because it is in "Review Mode". While experimenting, I got one trick, Under editing SCORM, once you change the Appearance > Display Package > New window to Current window (or vice versa) then view the package (SCORM), "Review mode" will disappear, then change it back again to New window, "Review mode" is really gone. But expect that it will show again to some other scorm package.

This should not be the way how to resolve this. There should be a proper way.

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Erwin

In reply to Erwin Ancheta

د Ciaran Irvine لخوا -

This has also been reported by some Totara customers now and we're looking into it. Seems to mainly affect scorms set to open in a new window, for some reason "Start new attempt" is not being properly passed to the new window so it opens in review mode, though if the scorm is changed to open in the current window it then works correctly.

If we can track the bug down we'll try and get the fix upstreamed to Moodle.

In reply to Ciaran Irvine

د Ciaran Irvine لخوا -

I've tracked this one down:

mod/scorm/view.js

The url for the popup window is set on line 11 (2.6)

var launch_url = M.cfg.wwwroot+"/mod/scorm/player.php?a="+scorm+"&currentorg="+currentorg+"&scoid="+sco+"&sesskey="+M.cfg.sesskey+"&display=popup";

Then there is a YUI event handler that triggers when the submit button is pressed:

Y.on('submit', function(e) {
            winobj = window.open(launch_url, 'Popup', poptions);

The issue of course is that the mode and newattempt options on the form are not being considered and added if appropriate to the popup URL.

I added a function to the view.js file to do just that:

var check_launchurl = function() {
        // Check the current state of the mode and newattempt options if they exist.
        var mode = Y.one('#n');
        if (mode && mode.get('checked')) {
            launch_url += '&mode=normal';
        }
        var newattempt = Y.one('#n');
        if (newattempt && newattempt.get('checked')) {
            launch_url += '&newattempt=on';
        }
    }

Then called this function on the two places where popups can be launched

if (launch == true) {
        check_launchurl();
        winobj = window.open(launch_url,'Popup', poptions);

Y.on('submit', function(e) {
            check_launchurl();
            winobj = window.open(launch_url, 'Popup', poptions);

And now popups launch correctly and accept new attempts. We'll upstream this to Moodle, though the final version that actually makes it into a Moodle release might be different - at least this should help anyone for whom this is a serious problem in the interim.

د Ciaran Irvine لخوا -

Typo in the suggested fix, the YUI call to get the newattempt node should actually be

var newattempt = Y.one('#a');

د Sascha Warnke لخوا -

We tried that modification, but it seems to work inconstant ...

e.g. it works fine until you reset the attempts after this it does not. when you change the display mode again to "same window" and start/complete an attempt it works fine again, after this first attempt you can change display mode back to "new window" and furthermore it works fine until you reset the attempts again ... then it does not work and so on. 

In reply to Steve Lauen

د charles steelman لخوا -

We are having this issue as well, but not with popup display.  Our content is set to display in same window, yet repeated attempts are all "review" mode.  I made a post about it, https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=263332.  Now I realize I probably should have just joined the discussion here.

In reply to Steve Lauen

د Chad Nixon لخوا -

Have you tried it in different internet browsers. We were having trouble just in IE, the rest of the browsers worked fine. We had to do an update in Articulate to fix the issue. Not sure if it is related though just a thought.

In reply to Chad Nixon

د Sascha Warnke لخوا -

Hi,

yes we try it in ie and firefox. same problem in both browsers.

we use moodle 2.7, so this bug is in this Version, too.

In reply to Sascha Warnke

د Nik Co لخوا -

Hi, We have this issue as well with IE, Firefox and Chrome. We are using Captivate 8 and Moodle 2.6.
HAve tried the new window/ current window switcheroo, didn't work.  Any other ideas?

In reply to Nik Co

د Chad Nixon لخوا -

Only other suggestion that I have is to make sure you have the latest update in Articulate or Captivate.

http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter-09/using-the-articulate-updater-for-internet-explorer-10

Make sure after you do an update if you haven't already and clear your cache. That worked for us when we were using Studio 09. Also make sure when you do a scorm package to select both passed and complete at the bottom of the scorm activity. It needs to match what you have in articulate in the publish settings.

http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter-13/how-to-report-completion-status-and-success-status-to-an-lms

Not sure if this will help. 

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 11.34.37 AM.png
In reply to Chad Nixon

د Sascha Warnke لخوا -

we use lectora with newest Version. also tried it with demo versions of content studio and easyProf.

same issues with both programs. starting no new attempts in windows seems to be a moodle specific problem.

In reply to Steve Lauen

د Philip Varghese لخوا -

I am using Storyline (SCORM 1.2) with Moodle2.6. The course consists of the lessons and an examination (60 questions).

2 pesky words "Review Mode" is driving me up the wall.

I have no complains of "review mode" during the lessons, it's very helpful.

But for the examination part which is set to one attempt, "review mode" is a big undesirable.

Consider a scenario where students are half-way or near completion of an exam, there is hardware failure or broken internet connection? The student is moved to another computer to resume. Such things do happen in real-life. Is Moodle equipped to handle such unforeseen? Force a new attempt? Is this fair to the students?

Reading thru the forums, I see many attempted fixes by our experts and I am thankful to you guys for the efforts. But I feel it's not addressing this fundamental issue of resuming in normal mode.

Is it possible to have a switch in the activities settings to enable or disable "review mode" with the default being enable. This gives more flexibility to course developers/LMS managers where to deploy a review.

Since we have a Disable preview switch, why can't we have a Disable review switch?