Preventing teachers from editing the general section of a course

Preventing teachers from editing the general section of a course

by Narissa Tuawhiorangi -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers

Hi

We have decided that each course have a certain amount of information available and standardised for each course (as per student needs) including course aim, learning outcomes, course outline, assessment information and tutor contact details.

We have designed and completed this content in the general section of each course and have asked tutors not to edit the details; however, a number still continue to do so.

Is it possible to restrict access to the general section only to just admin and course managers while still allowing tutors to edit every other section within their courses? Alternative solutions are also welcome

Thanks in advance for the continued support I have got from all you awesome Moodlers
Narissa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Narissa Tuawhiorangi

Re: Preventing teachers from editing the general section of a course

Hi

I have edited the course renderer (I can hear your sharp intake of breath from here) to hide the edit cog icon in section 0 from anyone who does not have create course capabilities but I've not yet been able to hide Add an activity or resource for section 0.

Any suggestions on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks to Martin D and others for suggestions on how to do the first bit at the last MoodleMootNZ - that was awesome!

In reply to Narissa Tuawhiorangi

Re: Preventing teachers from editing the general section of a course

As work around I have commented out the output of the course renderer > course section add cm control for section 0 of a multiple section page which removes anyone from viewing it or showing any of the files associated there but there shouldn't be files there anyway. This is in the file (moodle)\course\format\renderer.php, approximately  line 730:
//echo $this->courserenderer->course_section_add_cm_control($course, 0, 0);

If anyone has a cleaner solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks