Comparison of v1.9 and v2.6

Comparison of v1.9 and v2.6

ó $a->name - $a->date
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

Recently we had uploaded a module on module v2.6 and found that there was a lag in loading the module on iPad. The performance was found better when uploaded the same on v1.9.

Request experts here to please guide us on what all features will we miss while using older version [v1.9] of Moodle as compared to v2.6/2.7.

Thanks.

Meán na gcomhlán: -
In reply to Asish Menon

Re: Comparison of v1.9 and v2.6

ó $a->name - $a->date
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Security fixes?

In reply to Marcus Green

ó $a->name - $a->date

Hello Marcus,

Sorry, I did not get what you meant. 

I understand that there are some visual aspects that would be limited like the roll over effect and so. I am keen to know if there is a list of limitations [overall] with version 1.9 as compared to 2.6 or 2.7 so that we can analyse whether any of the basic requirements are not met if we use version 1.9.

best.

In reply to Asish Menon

ó $a->name - $a->date
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle HQ provide support in the form of updated code including security fixes when they become aware of them. As they stopped supporting Moodle 1.9 over a year ago you won't get any in the future. You also will probably get no new plugins (question types, activities, etc) , for example the three plugins that I have written never supported any of the 1.9x versions.

Later versions of Moodle have been developed with later devices in mind e.g. the Apple device you mentioned. Early version generally were not.

Think of it a bit like running Windows XP, that feeling when you get some new program and it says it won't run on your version of the operating system, or scary news stories about bad people targeting your operating system and Microsoft saying "we no longer support that software"

In reply to Marcus Green

ó $a->name - $a->date
Thanks a bunch, Marcus.

I understand the risks of continuing on Moodle 1.9.

Do you have any suggestion for better loading  performance on iPad/android devices? I am a bit confused if it is Moodle issue or the Server issue.

best
asish
In reply to Asish Menon

ó $a->name - $a->date
In reply to Guillermo Madero

ó $a->name - $a->date

Thanks Guillermo for the links - those were very useful.

While I am concerned about the reliability issue with v1.9, I am not able to distinguish whether the slow loading is due to Moodle or the server that we used. Do you have any recommendations for the server for the course to perform well on Moodle v2.6 or v2.7?

Our course is quite optimised; the performance is quite good on SCORM Cloud.

best

asish

In reply to Asish Menon

ó $a->name - $a->date

From what I understood, the issue was with version 2.6, not 1.9.

Versions 2.6 & 2.7 are supposed to be better, in terms of speed, than version 2.5, for example, see here:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=261336

Regarding your server, I would recommend you to go through the Performance FAQ and the Performance pages, and also take a look at the Hardware and performance forum as there you'll find answers for similar questions.