Moodle Mobile 1.4.4 submitted to Google Play and Apple App Store

Moodle Mobile 1.4.4 submitted to Google Play and Apple App Store

by Juan Leyva -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is the first version of the app that is going to be able to use the Moodle Mobile additional features add-on (See also https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=local_mobile)

This Moodle add-on provides new features and web services for Moodle versions starting 2.4 which are currently only available in Moodle 2.7 (Including Push notifications)

If you want to use the Mobile app and your site version is old or you want to provide additional features like Push notifications, SSO support (Shibboleth and CAS) you need to install this plugin. (For Push notifications in sites prior to 2.7 you will need also the Airnotifier plugin)

Release notes:

- Added support for Moodle sites using SSO authentication methods like CAS or Shibboleth

- Added support for the Moodle Mobile additional features add-on,. Using that service all the app features are available for Moodle versions starting 2.4 (Including Push notifications)

- New feature: Private messages and notifications retrieval

- New language: Traditional Chinese

- Relaxed validation rules for URLs so Moodle sites under private/internal networks can work

- Improved support for remote styles

- Improved offline and synchronization features

- Fixed problem with photo uploading (it didn't work correctly for some sites)

- Fixed problem with settings plugins not begin displayed correctly in the settings menu

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_Mobile_Release_Notes#Moodle_Mobile_1.4.4

https://tracker.moodle.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MOBILE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%221.4.4%22

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: Moodle Mobile 1.4.4 submitted to Google Play and Apple App Store

by Corey Wallis -

Hi,

My iPhone updated to the latest version of the Moodle Mobile app yesterday. I tried to use it today and have an odd error. When the app launches all I see is the 'Site URL' field and the 'Add' button. I don't see the 'Username' field or the 'Password' field. I've attached a screen capture of what I see.

I now can't login to any of my Moodle instances. 

Has something in the app changed which I'm not aware of?

With thanks. 

-Corey

Attachment IMG_1309.png
In reply to Corey Wallis

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Corey,

sorry, I didn't mention it in the release notes.

In order to log in you need to enter first the URL, the URL is validated and is everything is ok the username and password fields will be displayed

This is necessary since the app nows support SSO methods (where the user log in is done outside the app)

I've tested the app with multiple sites and it works as expected, can you send me a private message withe a test user account in your site so I can check what is happening?

Is anyone having the same issue?

Regards

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

The login to a site without local_mobile installed is fine (to our live 2.5 one). However, the Add Site button in the General > Sites screen has gone - is that deliberate?

I have it on my list of todos to clone our live 2.5 then get shibboleth back on there (then check the app). However we've been roped in to developing something else so that'll have to wait til summer.

In reply to Dave Perry

by Juan Leyva -
Yes, the sites option is going to be replaced by:

I deleted the Add Site button since it doesn't support sites using CAS/Shibboleth so for adding new sites you have to logout and use the main screen for adding a new one

Regards
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Corey Wallis -

Hi Juan,

Unfortunately I can't provide you with a test account. But if you walk me through what you'd like me to test I can do that. 

I've been investigating further and this is what I'm seeing. 

1. Open the Moodle Mobile app on my device
  2. Enter the Site URL
  3. Tap the 'Add' button
  4. An error dialog is displayed 'Cannot connect: Verify that your have typed correctly the URL and that your site uses Moodle 2.4 or later'
I get stuck in this loop. 

If I look at the access and error logs I see a HEAD request for the /login/token.php file which results in the following error:

PHP message: PHP Exception: A required parameter (username) was missing in /lib/setuplib.php on line 492, stack:
* line 492 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
* line 538 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to print_error()
* line 30 of /login/token.php: call to required_param()" while reading response header from upstream, client: 127.0.0.1, server: moodle.lan, request: "HEAD /login/token.php HTTP/1.0", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "moodle.lan:8080"

Obviously the `username` parameter isn't present as this is a head request before I can enter the username and password into the app. 

Any further thoughts you may have will be greatly appreciated. 

With thanks. 

-Corey

In reply to Corey Wallis

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Corey,

it seems that your site is inside a private network, right?

And also it seems that is not in a standard port, I will check internal sites with different ports in order to find a clue of what is happening

Regards

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Corey Wallis -

Hi Juan,

Yes, the example of the error message is from one of my development instances. 

I am also seeing this error on instances that are on the Internet with the standard port. Unfortunately I can't provide you with a test account for those instances. 

Any thoughts you may have will be very welcome. 

-Corey

In reply to Corey Wallis

by Juan Leyva -
Can you send me by email the URL of these sites? I just need the URL to test the initial connection check
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Corey Wallis -

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your continued investigations. I've shared a URL for one of our instances via private message. 

With thanks. 

-Corey

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Corey Wallis -

Hi Juan,

Many thanks for your help in resolving this issue. 

The root cause of our issue was as follows:

The 'login/token.php' script uses the 'required_param' function to retrieve the username and password provided by the user. If either of these parameters are not provided a 'moodle_exception' is thrown.

We have modified our Moodle code base so that when a moodle_exception is thrown a '500 Internal Server Error' status code is returned. After all, an exception has just occurred. 

To fix the issue, I have implemented a check in the 'login/token.php' file which looks at the request method and the user agent string. If the request method is a 'HEAD' request, and the user agent string matches a set of criteria, a '200 OK' status code is returned.

This allows the site check by the Moodle Mobile app to succeed and the username and password fields to be displayed. 

With thanks. 

-Corey

In reply to Corey Wallis

by anthony leduc -

Hi,

Great jobs ans i tested the app on a Androphone but please, did you plan a Windows phone version ?

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Tayyaba Farhat -

Hello sir,

can u please tell me the battery estimation of moodle mobile app on android phone with appscope analyzer?

link for appscope is https://github.com/tpetsas/appscope-analyzer

or about the no-sleep bugs errors from ADT as shown in the image below?

this will help all android developers and users about the energy and mistakes in using wakelocks, 

u have worked on it so it will be  very easy for you to estimate using appscope

Attachment no sleep bugs.PNG
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Hiroto Kagotani -
Hi,

When is it available on Google Play? I still see 1.4.1 right now.