Perfect Communication?

Perfect Communication?

by dawn alderson -
Number of replies: 4

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dawn alderson

Re: Perfect Communication?

by dawn alderson -

just logged in to outlook, as per, most mornings and was prompted to look at their terms of use changes...then prompted to look at privacy statement if I wished to do so for info...so did that...

here it is for anyone interested:

http://www.microsoft.com/privacystatement/en-gb/core/default.aspx

of note, for me, was:

Microsoft collects many kinds of information in order to operate effectively and provide you the best products, services and experiences we can.

We collect information when you register, sign in and use our sites and services. We also may get information from other companies.

We collect this information in a variety of ways, including from web forms, technologies like cookies, web logging and software on your computer or other device.

Oh And...

the sharing of personal info in order 'to protect lives':

We will share your personal information with your consent.  We may also share or disclose information with Microsoft affiliates and vendors; when required by law or to respond to legal process; to protect our customers; to protect lives; to maintain the security of our services; and to protect the rights or property of Microsoft.

All clear...full of rhyme and reason too eh....there we are then!

D

In reply to dawn alderson

by Jez H -

I moved to outlook a while back after getting fed up with the way Google were using my data.

I don't think Microsoft are any better in terms of their TOS but they are not nearly as pervasive online so their opportunities to collect and commercially exploit personal data are reduced.

One thing Microsoft did a while back was access someones emails in relation to software piracy:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/19/5527694/ex-microsoft-employee-arrested-for-leaking-windows-8

"the sharing of personal info in order to protect lives"

That old chestnut, of course that could mean selling you health insurance smile

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Jez H

by dawn alderson -

mmmmm.......interesting read.  Thing is with policies...it just seems to me that it is an avenue to say-this is how it is. And once that mind set is established...as firmly as it is with those types of get-ups, then it is just the one policy in the end...supported by govs'.  Sigh.  Have both Gmail and Outlook and they can share what they like as far as I am concerned as I dont have any voice about matters in the real world.

Anyway, there are just two entities that can save lives, in my book-so they have got that wrong...and they are Mighty Mouse and Iron Man.

It is that simple. :0)

D

Attachment image 7.jpg
Attachment image3.jpg
In reply to Jez H

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Jez,

That's the keyword, pervasiveness! All are, it is just a matter of degree. Given the fact, that they will absolutely never take users into consideration, one has to be creative and find ways to solve or work around each and every of their so-called features. I just had to do it regarding the Outlook Messaging feature. It seems my account had escaped being updated because since yesterday I suddenly got a Messaging section which was, evidently, undisableable (sp?) from within Outlook. Well, after some searching, it's not gone, but at least it's blocked.

outlook messaging blocked

Some time ago I went through great lengths to completely remove a skype contact:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/how-to-permanently-delete-a-contact-from-skype-and-from-options/m-p/555423/highlight/true#M46990

It seemed to work at first. It actually didn't. Why can't one remove, once and for all, old contacts? Just because they arbitrarily decided users shouldn't have that option. Yes, pervasiveness.