Installation help

installing Moodle in my website

Picture of john Simpson
installing Moodle in my website
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have recently posted on this forum about a problem on installing Moodle using my IP address. However I was successful in the past installing moodle in my website hosted by 101domain. They have a simple Application Moodle install service there, and I installed it ,and Moodle appeared to be working well. But later on, it stopped working, and I attempted to reinstall it and got this message.

Installation of moodle

Error: Unable to install the app because its installation requirements are not met. Contact your hosting provider to resolve this problem.

Requirement

PHP version

The app requires PHP 5.4.4 or later. Currently, you have PHP 5.3.3. If the version is "none", ensure that the PHP support is selected for the domain.

Database

The app requires the mysql database server version 5.5.31 or later.

I contacted my hosting provider and got a negative answer, they refused to upgrade the php, and stated in so many words that Moodle is too much for them to handle.

Is there a solution to this? Perhaps change my hosting provider? And if so which one? As I don't want to go to another provider and get the same answer. Obviously we need a provider that keeps up to date with moodle's PHP and database requirements.

I need moodle to expand my private EFL English school in Russia. I want to enrol my current students, plus enrol all my potential enquiries who have travelling problems in coming to my classroom. Also business is dead in the Summer, so I need to expand geographically.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: installing Moodle in my website
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Unless I am missing something... your hosting provider says "we cannot handle Moodle". That's your answer surely? Take your business elsewhere - there are plenty of hosts that do smile

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Sketch...

The answer is clear: they don't want your business! Go somewhere else.

http://moodle.com/partners know how to configure servers that can handle Moodle.

Picture of john Simpson

Yes. It is strange that a webhosting service shows a lot of good application soft-wares such as Moodle and joomla for an easy one click of a button, and then they refuse to install due to the fact that their PHP is out of date. they stated to me in one of my emails that they had no intention of upgrading their php in the future. How many important and popular applications for websites are there that won't work without an up to date PHP?

I'll have another look at the moodle partners. I found them confusing and pricy before, with all the different services and price tiers they had, when I only want a web-host that will take my current domain,and accommodate moodle on my site. 

Picture of john Simpson

Looking again at this website, I realise that it's not a Moodle partner I'm looking for, it's a suitable web host that has the right tools to accommodate Moodle.

So for all those seeking a suitable web host, here it is. http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/web_hosts . Dreamhost looks the best for me, or maybe Bluehost, because I like the c panel. Bring them together, and you have the perfect service. Hopefully it won't be a problem with me living in Russia, because I want English speaking communication this time round.

Picture of Rich Carroll

I have noticed an additional observation.  If I logn as the admin account, I get a red screen warning me the code is older than the database, and I can't go past that warning.  I can follow the link off site to the moodle docs, but cannot correct anything on the site.  As soon as the admin account logs in I get the warning message.

However, if I login with any one of several non-admin accounts I used for testing, much of the site looks normal.  it does miss some posted notices, but I can select courses, see details, etc.  I can logout and login as a different non-admin account, and things work well. 

There HAS to be something in the database that describes the program that created that database.  Since the database was created with Moodle, who is familiar with how Moodle creates it, and specifically, where did Moodle write the version number.  I realize that the version number is only one part, and that newer versions of Moodle have different and additional tables, etc. but could I back number the moodle database by a fractional version to get this to load?

Picture of Rich Carroll

Yes, I find most hosting providers are in the lots-of-promises before the contract, and poor-service after.  The best data I have seen reflect MANY small websites changing hosting providers every 12-24 months, many again and again.  This certainly reflects that the hosting provider isn't doing a very good job.

And you are correct; I did look at Moodle Partners, and need to keep my down domain.  I am happy to visit the site, but they ought to be able to quote costs and allow me to decide within a minute of my looking at their site.  Too many don't quote prices, so I can't compare.  "Call us and we'll issue a special quote" isn't what I want.  If I want to buy a box of Wheaties, I don't need someone to call back with a custom quote on delivering me a 14 oz box every six days. I simply want to buy a box of cereal.

Sketch...

You would think that the one thing that they would want to keep up to date is PHP. Security updates and fixes make up a big part of each new PHP version. The fact that they are not interested in updating PHP on their servers shows that they are happy to leave their servers compromised and open to attack! That says a lot about them...

Picture of john Simpson

Yes it's strange. Their PHP is 5.3.3 which isn't even good enough to install their recommended one click install Joomla. Funny but they also have a one click install service for Moodle 2.7 which doesn't work.

I'm moving to a new host, a British one this time. They look good, promising everything including the latest php and mysql etc with easy install of moodle.. As well as expertise knowledge for Moodle. 3 pounds 95 includes a domain, which I don't need another domain. In reality though it ends up being 4.95 plus almost 10.00 for a domain, then you get your free domain. Despite the marketing tricks it seems a good deal.

http://www.gogethosting.co.uk/web-hosting.html

As you can see, their specifications and claims look pretty good for the  price. I have seen much higher prices with others offering shared hosting with moodle with a lot of restrictions. I can only hope they live up to their claims when I give them a try.