Thanks for putting this up - from my brief play with it on the prototype site it looks really promising - Slightly surprised that you've only got one other comment so far as it seems to be exactly the type of function loads of people have been asking for.
My only concern is that it's possibly getting even at this stage a little too complex for the average admin/teacher/student who will want notifying about everything in an elegant manner.
Additional items that would be useful in our context (and possibly to others) are:
- Ability to add rules at site level - eg. for all forums in sites i'm enrolled in, perhaps only allow students to modify setting at site level (for all courses they are enrolled in).
- Ability to set-up default settings for all students - If student A gets notified about forum posts but Student B does not we would have complaints.
- For consistency I would move away from having teachers define there own message templates (or make it an advance option), students will be working across different courses and possibly receiving lots of notifications short, sharp and consistent is the key. Perhaps we could construct a useful default for notifications based on the settings in the rule.
- Really important: The notifications need to have a link back to what they are being notified about ie. If there are 2 new posts in a forum - link to the forum concerned, if a file has been updated - link to the file in the notification
- Not really an additional item, but, students and teachers are really used and primed for getting elegant notifications via social networks, websites and apps so the output needs to look professional and constant (possibly fun) to my mind this would mean having a nice email template that has good formatting in it - a default would need to be shipped with the code
- Am I correct that the user can then consume the notifications as they wish? mobile, rss, email etc....
- If selecting email as a notification method, do all the notifications get bundled into one email? if not it would be useful to have this option, so students & teachers) are not overburdened with notifications.
I hope these comments are useful, really happy to be of help and test further if that would be useful.