Elegance Theme - Moodle Gradebook Alignment

Elegance Theme - Moodle Gradebook Alignment

by Rene Ouellette -
Number of replies: 26

Hi All

We are having alignment issues with the gradebook.  This is using the Elegance theme, and Moodle 2.7.

Not sure what needs to be changed to line up the first 2 rows.  Any help is much appreciated.

THanks,

Rene

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rene Ouellette

Re: Elegance Theme - Moodle Gradebook Alignment

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In a nutshell the fact Elegance is a stand alone theme it is not picking up the CSS for the gradebook from bootstrapbase which fixes all these problems.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Mary,

I flipped over to bootstrapbase, and they are aligned.  I then flipped it to bootstrap 3 and they are not.   So Elegance gradewbook doesn't look right because it uses bootstrap3 as a base?

Any other users looking at Elegance have this issue / fix?

Rene

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is the nightmare reality of this theme. The problem is that the code in Moodle is not Bootstrap3 compatible.

That said, the thing is Elegance could probaly work just as well using Bootstrapbase as a parent and still use Bootstrap 3 to style the layouts and all the fancy stuff.

by Mary Evans -

If I were you Rene I would delete this section of CSS from elegance/style/elegance.css file

https://github.com/lazydaisy/moodle-theme_elegance/blob/master/style/elegance.css#L2322-L2469

and see how it looks.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Shoehorn is BSv3 based in terms of a child theme and I've not noticed the issue, but will double check tomorrow.

Does the problem happen in the original or Danny's new child version?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Danny Wahl -

if the output is a BS2 grid then ti will be a problem on either.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -

It's a table which has specific CSS and should not need any CSS from any theme.

The css is in grade/report/grader/style.css and is uptodate in MOODLE_27_STABLE AND master branches in https://github.com/moodle/moodle.git:

I added bootstrapbase as a grandparent to your elegance theme last night and it cured the problem with the grader and also the dropdown menus in the header (which are sluggish without bootstrapbase javascript)

by Mary Evans -

Gareth, if checking this you need to select Static Student in Admin settings.

Also be aware the problem is historic....but is fixed in 2.7

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=126403

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Mary, this is Shoehorn with 'Static student' some slight issue but not as bad as Elegance.  The CSS is in reality based upon the latest Bootstrap V3 theme of Bas.

Attachment 2014-06-06 11_25_48-Grades_ View.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gareth J Barnard -

Also in Bootstrap:

Attachment 2014-06-06 11_32_41-Grades_ View.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, the fix for Bootstrap V3 is https://github.com/bmbrands/theme_bootstrap/pull/287 (see attached image).

I did find that removing the '#user-grades' margin caused a much larger gap at the top so assume that it is the lack of this selector in Elegance that is causing the issue.

Attachment 2014-06-06 11_55_08-Grades_ View.png

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Gareth,   Thanks for the fix on the bootstrap 3 theme.  I switched to that as the theme, and the gradebook shows up properly.  Oddly enough, the fixed bootstrap3 theme, doesn't fix the issue in Elegance. I am using the latest version from Danny.

(Purged caches, and restarted Apache).

There must be something in Elegance styling the grade table.  

Rene

PS  Turned off Static Columns, and everything lines up.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Rene,

No worries.  Actually, https://github.com/bmbrands/theme_bootstrap/pull/287 as not been integrated into Bootstrap V3 yet so apply manually to your copy of Bootstrap V3, then recreate the CSS from the LESS files in Danny's child, then a 'Purge all caches'.

Gareth

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Gareth,

I have never created css from files, so looked it up.   Followed these instructions.

Installed recess for ubuntu.

cd theme/bootstrap/less/
recess --compile--compress moodle.less > ../style/moodle.css

But must have gunged something up, as theme was damaged. Purging cache didn't seem to help.

Do I need to do something different?

Rene

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Rene,

Oh I see, sorry, I should clarify.  Bootstrap V2.3.2 in core uses 'recess' but V3 uses 'lessc' invoked by 'grunt'.

Looking at Elegance, the CSS is as it is: https://github.com/thedannywahl/moodle-theme_elegance/tree/master/style so does not need to be compiled, however the LESS in Bas's Bootstrap V3 does, please see: https://github.com/bmbrands/theme_bootstrap/blob/master/less/README - where you use 'npm' environment used with 'recess'.

Alternatively, temporarily use the compiled CSS in the 'style' folder of: https://github.com/gjb2048/theme_bootstrap/tree/master_static_student_gradebook

Cheers,

Gareth

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Gareth,

I think I am following, but maybe I am still messing up.

I downloaded moodle.css and moodle-rtl.css from https://github.com/gjb2048/theme_bootstrap/tree/master_static_student_gradebook

I copied the  files to /var/www/moodle/theme/bootstrap/style/ after renaming the originals.

The theme looked wonky again, but Purged the Caches just in case.  No go.   Am I messing up?  I can try to compile with grunt.  (I should be able to grunt with the best of them  smile

Thanks,

Rene

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Rene,

Odd.  Should have worked.  This is for M2.7.  What version of Moodle are you using and where did you get 'bootstrap' from please?

Or temporarily replace your 'bootstrap' with mine: https://github.com/gjb2048/theme_bootstrap/tree/master_static_student_gradebook - as long as you are happy uninstalling later and fixing any version issues in the DB if needed.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Gareth,

Very strange.  Totally nuked bootstrap from the disk and used the zip file from the url provided above.  Boostrap3 theme, gradebook looks perfect.  Elegance continues to have the mis-alignment.

Moodle Version - Moodle2.7+ (Build: 20140529)

Elegance Version - 2.7.0.03

Bootstrap 3 Version -  downloaded fresh off the github provided.

Think I will leave it till next week, as my forehead is getting sore slamming it against my desk.

Thanks for your time, it is much appreciated.

Rene

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Gareth,

When I look at your picture, the rows are not aligned.    Maybe we are seeing the same thing.

I noticed a padding of 8px on .generaltable > tbody > tr > td and set it to 0px.  It is almost aligned after that.

The cells where Surname and email address are 51px, but the Unit 1 Discussion cell is 46px.

Thanks,

Rene

by Mary Evans -

Rene, there should be a space between --compile  and --compress you have it all as one. Of course it could just be a typo...but these little things can cause strange things to happen.

recess --compile--compress moodle.less > ../style/moodle.css

this is how I write it - http://docs.moodle.org/dev/LESS

recess --compile --compress moodle.less > ../style/moodle.css

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rene Ouellette -

Hey Mary,

Yes, just a typo in my post.  My exact command was: recess --compile --compress moodle.less > /var/www/moodle/theme/bootstrap/style/moodle.css

Thanks,

Rene

by Mary Evans -

What you could do is switch to Clean theme when doing Admin work. smile

by Rene Ouellette -

OK.  Everything is lined up.

Code added to custom css block in theme.

.path-rating .ratingtable > thead > tr > th, table.flexible > thead > tr > th, .generaltable > thead > tr > th, .path-rating .ratingtable > tbody > tr > th, table.flexible > tbody > tr > th, .generaltable > tbody > tr > th, .path-rating .ratingtable > tfoot > tr > th, table.flexible > tfoot > tr > th, .generaltable > tfoot > tr > th, .path-rating .ratingtable > thead > tr > td, table.flexible > thead > tr > td, .generaltable > thead > tr > td, .path-rating .ratingtable > tbody > tr > td, table.flexible > tbody > tr > td, .generaltable > tbody > tr > td, .path-rating .ratingtable > tfoot > tr > td, table.flexible > tfoot > tr > td, .generaltable > tfoot > tr > td {

padding: 0px;

}

.path-grade-report-grader .left_scroller #fixed_column th {

height: 0em;

}

.path-grade-report-grader .right_scroller table#user-grades td.grade {

height: 0em;

}

Not sure what else I wrecked by changing these items, but they line up when viewing and editing.

by Mary Evans -

It was the padding that has caused so much trouble in the first place.

one pixel here, one pixel there
just makes for a wonky grade-book
everywhere!

It looks OK to me.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Leulseged Assefa -

I added the following code in the custom CSS for Elegance. It looks like it is working.

.right_scroller{ padding-top: 21px; }