Installing and upgrading help

Set up installation thru GoDaddy Host

Picture of Lyn Burg
Set up installation thru GoDaddy Host

I am using GoDaddy as my server. I am having trouble importing the Moodle 2.7+download to mysql.

First I uploaded the file to my FTP file using filezilla, but seemed like a dead end after that. Then I created a MySQL file at GoDaddy, but the zipped file won't load and I am unable to select an extracted file to import (the GoDaddy program won't let me.

I have a good deal of experience with wordpress, but I am NOT using my own server and can't seem to move forward with this. Is this doable? Can someone help?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: Set up installation thru GoDaddy Host
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Lyn, do you have a Godaddy Hosted Server or VPS?  Is it Linux or Windows?  What versions of PHP and mySQL do you have.

I have Moodle 2.7 running on both my experimental GoDaddy Hosted Server and on a VPS, so I know it works.  But I would need to have answers to the above questions before I can proceed helping you.

It appears that you are familiar with FTP and the mySQL tools.  Are you familiar with SSH?

Picture of Lyn Burg

I have the Hosted Server. PHP is 5.4. MySQL is 5.0. Not familiar with how to use SSH but have an idea of what it is.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Lyn, step 1: Double check what your really have in terms of PHP and MySQL.  Moodle 2.7 requirements are PHP 5.4.4, MySQL 5.5.3. So PHP 5.4.1 and mySQL 5.0 won't work.  But maybe you have a higher versions, look carefully.  For example, on my GoDaddy Hosted Server, I am running PHP 5.4.23, and mySQL 5.5.32, which is adequate for Moodle 2.7.

GoDaddy has had different versions of Hosted Servers, so what you have may or may not be current.  When did you purchase your hosted server?

Typically, you can upgrade PHP and maybe mySQL.  But one has to be careful because an upgrade may have negative effects on any current applications that you are running.  Is this a new server that does not contain much yet, or is it an old server that you have be using to do many things?

Do you know if you have cPanel?  cPanel is now provided on Godaddy's current hosted servers.

Well, maybe enough questions for you right now.  One of my experimental servers is running Moodle 2.7, click here, so it can be done.

Your experience with WordPress will be helpful.

Picture of Lyn Burg

Thank you so much. I do not have cPanel yet. I can convert to it but not sure that's a good idea with all my Wordpress sites. This is an old server that I am doing many things with.

I can search further on the PHP and MySQL, but I feel like your response is very helpful to me in that it's guiding me to just purchase a Wordpress educational theme. This one appears to be the best at this time.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Yes, I see your situation better.

Here's a suggestion.  If you want to experiment with Moodle and Godaddy, consider purchasing a second Hosted Server, maybe a Deluxe plan.  This is not too expensive (< $5 month, $60 for the year), and it would give you a brand new server, up to date, and cPanel.  You can then experiment a lot.

As an alternative, I had success getting a free hosted server (for a year) account from Bluehost.com because I am a teacher.

Picture of Lyn Burg

I will take your first suggestion. Sounds like a good idea, and I hadn't thought of that. Thank you so much!

Picture of Rick Jerz

Lyn, great!

I always prefer a Linux server.  Don't do the one-click install of Moodle, either.

Come back if you find yourself needing some help.

Good luck.

Picture of Gabriela Huallanca

Hello Rick

I'm completely new to the whole Moodle thing and website creation as well. I thought getting a domain was the only thing I needed to get Moodle working! smile

I got my own domain yesterday from Godaddy and they are offering me this:

Web Hosting: Fast website hosting using industry-standard cPanel® with 100 GB web storage and unlimited bandwidth. Some technical skills needed.
Perfect for: Web designers, web developers and businesses that use a designer
$7.99 / mo $5.49 / mo ON SALE

Would purchasing this allow me to get Moodle started? I also went to cpanel.com and wonder why the licenses there are more expensive per month compared to the offer by Godaddy.

I'm a teacher and plan to have a website where I can share material with my current students and leave homework for them, etc. Eventually I would like to use my website as a way of getting students from all over to teach them subjects online.

Thank you so much in advance!

PS. I'm attaching a screenshot of the offers godaddy.com is currently offering me.

Gabriela H.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Yes, this Godaddy hosted server will allow you to run Moodle.  The fine print says "Some technical skills needed", however.

I started my website with Godady around 10 years ago using one of these hosted servers, and it worked really well.  You can immediately begin moving course content to this Godaddy hosted server, make webpages, and give students access to your course content.  This can occur even without Moodle, and it will provide you the ability to learn about your server.  I preferred using Dreamweaver for both creating content, and managing my website.

I installed Moodle with the Godaddy "One-Click" install method, and it worked!  I used this for about a year.  But the problem with the one-click install is that it is initially challenging to figure out how to upgrade Moodle, for a novice.  So you can give this a try too, but realize that the learning curve will become a little steep at upgrade time.  But sometimes for a novice this is better than learning how to install Moodle on your own.  I still own a Godaddy hosted server for experimenting, and Moodle 3.0 runs fine on it.

Eventually, my moodle database exceeded the hosted server's size, so I had to upgrade to a Godaddy VPS.  Big learning curve again, but doable.

Today, this is what I have, a Godaddy VPS.  I have learned how to install moodle on this severs, and of course, once you know how you wonder why it was hard.  Kind of like learning to ride a bicycle.

I am a professor with an interest in using teaching technologies to improve courses for my students, so I don't mind the learning curve(s).

As an alternative, you can also consider getting a free account on the MoodleCloud system.  Moodle will work great, but there are some size limitations for the free account.  I gave a presentation at this year's MoodleMoot2016 US event about ways to use a (Godaddy) hosted server along with the free MoodleCloud moodle. (Expanding your MoodleCloud Storage to Fill the "Entire Sky")

Moodle is better than any other LMS.  But some of the other LMS might seem easier.

Ignore the cPanel website for now.  cPanel is included with your hosted server (for free).  I actually like cPanel.

How many courses and students per year do you anticipate.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Gabriela Huallanca

Hello, Rick

I really appreciate your response. I find it very informative and useful!

I will go ahead and install Moodle with the One-click install method because to be honest it looks like learning how to do it myself might be time-consuming at the moment but I understand that the struggle can be beneficial in the long run.

I anticipate one subject which has three different courses at the moment and about 30 students altogether per year.

As a professor interested in teaching technologies, is there any book you would recommend whose content could be beneficial when trying to create interesting activities, quizzes, etc. for students using Moodle?

This one sounds good to me.

Moodle 3.x Teaching Techniques - Third Edition Paperback 

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Gabriela

Picture of Rick Jerz

It's been awhile, but Mary Cooch's book on Moodle 1.9 is what I used awhile ago.  Mary is around in moodle.org too, and she is very helpful.

GoDaddy doesn't directly support moodle, so don't expect them to help with moodle specific questions.  The one-click should work.  Give it a try.  GoDaddy doesn't even create these one-click installs, they are created by others.

Of all activities, get to playing around with quizzes, assignments, and forums.  These three activities are probably what make up 85% of a good course.   Moodle offers "question marks" for help on many settings.  At the bottom of almost every moodle webpage, there are "docs for this webpage."  Take your time making it through the docs.  They are quite good.

Here are some of the videos that I make available for my students.  Maybe some of these will help you think about what you might want to do.

Many folks here on moodle.org will be around to help.

Someday, begin learning about FTP and SSH, two tools that will eventually help you with your hosted servers.

Maybe web-editing tools can work with your hosted server.

Picture of Ashish Sharma

Hi Rick, 

I have gone through the entire thread on installing moodle on godaddy. It had been very helpful. 

I have a specific requirement from a client of mine. They have a user base of around 700 users and about 4-5 courses. One course to start with. But the user base is defined right away. It would be 700. 

I am thinking of doing a one click install of moodle on godaddy. I would be managing the site once it is up and running. 

Could you please advise on this as to what should be the way to go.

Thanks in advance

Ashish

Picture of Rick Jerz

A lot depends upon how active your 700 students are in your course.  A hosted server my eventually prove too slow.  But you can start with a hosted server and then eventually upgrade to a VPS (a harder install).

Incidentally, I recommend installing Moodle from scratch and not using the one-click install.  It is not that hard, you will learn more about Moodle, and it will aid in eventually upgrading your Moodle.

Picture of Ashish Sharma

Hi Rick, 

Thanks for your response. 

I will go by your suggestion and try to do a installation from scratch.

Regards,

Ashish

Picture of Sara Elkilany

Hi Rick 

I am having the same issue. I installed Moodle with the one click option more than a year ago on my shared Godaddy hosting and it was fine but when I tried to upgrade it also using the built in one click, it went wrong, so I restored it from my back up but it was corrupted and I ended up uninstalling my old moodle and decided to install the latest version with one click and start over sacrificing everything. But the new moodle seemed to install OK with one click but it never loads. I tried to uninstall it and install it multiple times, the Moodle site admin page never loads every time. I called Godaddy and they said I have to upgrade my hosting. I upgraded my hosting and my resources, but I still have the same problem, the website does not load. It keeps loading for a long time then it gives me 404 error, page could not be found .. I do not know what to do or what went wrong because it was fine with Moodle's old version on my old hosting plan. 

I appreciate any advice on what to do.. 

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Don't use the one click installer.  As you can see, this is only going to cause you problems.  Install manually - there are a lot of instructions on that in the documentation.  Come back with specific questions if you get stuck.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Emma is correct with her advice.  Consider watching some of my videos (from my post above.)

Out of curiosity, what do you own with Godaddy?  A hosting server?  A VPS?  Linux or Windows?

Picture of Sara Elkilany

Thank you Emma and Rick. Thank you for your videos. I have a Deluxe Linux server with GoDaddy. I started reading and watching videos about how to install it manually. 

I have some questions: 

Which file to download from Moodle (tgz) or (zip) ?

How do I check the requirements of everything on my server to see if they meet Moodle requirement? 

Do I need to install FileZilla? I read it somewhere that I need it to upload Moodel to the server?

The Documentation says (It is important to GRANT ON moodle.* as the database name including the '.*' and not just the bare database name.) What does this mean? Do I have to have * in the name? 

What is my dbhost ? Is it localhost or something else? 

Thank you for your help.

Thank you 

Picture of Dashamir Hoxha

Sara, I would recommend you to follow the instruction here: http://dashohoxha.fs.al/moodle-for-every-school/#orgheadline11

It seems to me they are simpler, but still you need some basic skills in command-line Linux. If you have no knowledge whatsoever about Linux commands, they are not for you.

Picture of Sara Elkilany

It turned out that the new Moodle release can't work on my hosting plan even when I upgraded it. I need a VPS to be able to convert he database into Barracuda 

Picture of James Steerpike

If you have an older version that works on your hosting plan, use that version.  Professional users don't update software unless there are advantages and no risk of failure.  Also check out Moodlecloud with someone else setting things up works for you.

Running a Linux VPS is the next step and they are available at around $5 a month. It does take some time to learn so I would advise setting up from scratch installing a LAMP stack and Moodle. Once you are comfortable ( and that might take months) ,  you can run the latest Moodle.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Yep Sara, James' advice is good.  It took me a while to learn my VPS when I converted from a hosting plan.  Someday, I might make a video showing the entire process.  But this is the way to go if you intend to continue using Moodle and upgrading it.

In November or December, I will be buying a new VPS to experiment with php 7 on a VPS, before I blast ahead and just do it on my production server.

Picture of James Steerpike
 I think what you need to do now depends on what you are doing with Moodle right now. If students are expecting to use it now and your server is down, you need to get it up as soon as you can.
The one-step install is frowned upon but may be your best option. Create a new clean Moodle of the same version as you had originally installed - different directory, different database.  You have done it before so it shouldn't be hard. Spend several hours testing it thoroughly from log ins through course creation and emails to ensure it works well.  Restore any courses and point students to the new address. Resist the temptation to upgrade your installed Moodle - it will upgrade only the Moodle code base, not the underlying database and PHP version and will break things. That should get you through to the end of the semester.
If you have the luxury of time, start becoming familiar with Linux. It is not easy but there is plenty of assistance out there.

Picture of Sara Elkilany

I wish I knew that before I clicked the auto upgrade option. Restoring the old version did not work either. It was broken so I had to reinstall it. I tried to reinstall my old version thru the one click option but it does not exist there. Only the latest three releases are there. I tried to download an old version from Moodle website and install it manually but I still get the same error of the Barracuda database, although the Moodle version was even older than my previous version. I don't think I changed the database though. maybe that's why.. Anyway I had to transfer our courses to Google Classroom for now until I find a solution. I will try again with a different database and new directory and see. 

Thank you all for your advice and support.. Although I know nothing about these stauff but I feel I learned a lot during these few days. 

Picture of yaschica agoro

I am having major issues with installing my moodle in Godaddy

First, I have my sites backup on godaddy; after I reinstall into my cpanel (file manager).  Every site works right except my moodle installation. Yes, I made sure the config.php and database were able to connect. 

Then I can't get by the error msg: 

Re: $CFG->dataroot is not configured properly, directory does not exist or is not accessible! Exiting.

So, I just reinstall Moodle via one-click in godaddy applications. Now, I need to transfer files into new moodle from old moodle. 

Help Please!!!

Picture of Rick Jerz

Don't know what version of Moodle you are trying to install, and what kind of server you have (hosted, VPS, etc.)  In general, avoid the one-click installs.  We also don't know where you are in your transfer process, so you might need to provide more detail.

The error message seems to suggest that your moodledata folder is either not in the right location, or doesn't have the correct "rights".  You will need to verify that your old moodledata folder got backup up and restored, that its old folder name matches the new, that data actually exists in it, and that your new moodle points to the moodledata folder correctly.

If you used a cPanel backup tool and a one-click install tool, you will now need to explore what they did and did not do.

Your general need is referred to "migration."  Look for this in the moodle documentation.

As a general suggestion, learn how to install moodle from scratch.  This will help you a lot in the future.