Manually entered grades do not trigger activity completion

Manually entered grades do not trigger activity completion

by sherri g -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

We are running Moodle 2.6.2.

We have a course that consists of multiple scorm packages, set up as individual activities within the course.  We've set conditions so that users must complete the modules before they can begin the final exam, also a scorm package.

When we manually enter grades for a module, the edited grade shows correctly in the gradebook.  However, on the course page, the tick box to indicate completion of the module is NOT checked.  So users cannot proceed to the final exam even though they have passing grades for the prerequisites.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?  Any assistance is appreciated!

Sherri

In reply to sherri g

Re: Manually entered grades do not trigger activity completion

by Bob Puffer -

Seen it, hate it. I'd suggest changing the qualifications to 'Must receive a grade'.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by sherri g -

Already done...no joy.

We have 2 scenarios: 

1.  grades were imported with a csv spreadsheet. 

2.  grades were manually edited in the grader report.

In either case, the completion status is not being set to "complete."

In reply to sherri g

by Eric Strom -

Are you able to verify the cron job is running on the server to update activity completion?

Are other items getting marked as complete?

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Activity_completion_FAQ

In reply to Eric Strom

by sherri g -

Yes, chron has run. 

This is only affecting manually entered grades (either via editing the grader report or doing a csv grade import).

If the user logs on and accesses the scorm package, the scores are recorded and the activity is marked complete.  Attached are some screenshots showing the behavior.

In reply to sherri g

by Eric Strom -

It sounds as if overridden scorm grades don't push values in the way (or to the place) that triggers the value for activity completion. The gradebook knows of the overridden value but scorm report doesn't know this. This might be why activity completion doesn't change status - must look in the score tables for the "current" grade).

You may want to vote for this tracker item to improve activity completion management:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37361

It would help in your current situation.

In reply to Eric Strom

by sherri g -

Thanks for the info, Eric....I was wondering if this was already documented somewhere.  Do you have any thoughts of a workaround?  I have ~100 users whose grades on SCORM packages were imported, but are not showing as completed.

Sherri

In reply to sherri g

by Eric Strom -

Sorry, I don't have an elegant fix. My familiarity with scorm modules/data is limited at this point and I much prefer to avoid manually changing table data in moodle whenever possible.

I'm not certain where the session completion for the entire scorm attempts is recorded in the tables. Looks like you want to find cmi.core.lesson_status for each student and ensure this is set to a desired status. A status of 'incomplete', 'browsed' or 'notattempted' might get in the way(?).

If you are importing grades for this activity, does this mean students may have not have finished a session in that scorm activity? You could have a situation where students don't complete their SCORM session but you are giving them an grade via import or grader report override. 

What happens if you uncheck the completion status requirement for the activity completion settings?

In reply to sherri g

by Catherine Lamy-Pilon -
I have the exact same problem and I'm sad because I really need this feature. If it doesn't work, I might have to pass on Moodle and keep my old LMS for my SCORM packages. 

A teacher/admin MUST be able to override the completion of an activity. If any bug happens and the students are not able to complete the packages by themselves, I must be able to do something!!!
In reply to Catherine Lamy-Pilon

by Darren Hedden -

Hi there 

Think I had a similar requirement and found a work around.. Have you tried the  following:

Within scorm activity 

Only tick "require grade" (don't click require status completed as this is generated on completion of the scorm object.. If you're manually grading then you can get complete unless you physically 

Disable minimum score 

Grade book 

Turn editing on 

Click simple view

Within the grade book ensure the "required grade"within the particular scorm you are grading is set to zero". Logic says it could be the same score as you manually graded it (eg 100) but I've only got it to work when it's set as zero

Think that's how I did it but if not ping me back and when I'm at my desk I can maybe Check again 

Darren