UK Schools and Internet Access from home

UK Schools and Internet Access from home

by dougal bett -
Number of replies: 10

Hi All

I'd be interested in peoples views on the usefulness of Moodle( or similar ) in UK secondary schools. My concern is that the proportion of students who have adequate access to the internet from home may not be high enough. Which leaves some students at a disadvantage and puts the teacher in the position of having to provide online and offline resources/assignments.

How do you get around this problem... or is it  a showstopper?

Doug

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dougal bett

Re: UK Schools and Internet Access from home

by Miles Berry -
Hi Doug,
Ah, the whole digital divide stuff...
Of course home internet access will vary from school to school, but a fortnight ago's BECTA research conference, one of the presenters quoted 90% homes with school age children had computers at home, often bought to help the children with their school work, so it's perhaps no longer quite so much of an issue. Furthermore, moodle runs fine over dial-up so there's not any need for broadband, unless you're contemplating making flash movies of the whiteboard and lesson audio available...
At present, we:
  • make access to computers available after school in 'homework room', plus additional access if required before school or at lunch time;
  • provide printed copies of the moodle quizzes for any who ask;
  • have thought about loaning redudandant machines to pupils without computers - linux is ideal here, as one wouldn't need to worry about licencing issues, but no-one in the present moodle cohorts is in this position at my place.
Others are exploring giving/loaning pupils pdas and providing some sort of ubiquitous wireless connectivity, (no seriously, they are!), and there are internet PCs available in libraries if push comes to shove.
Before we went down the moodle route, I sounded out the parents about whether they'd have the kit at home for it, and they were all very positive. The only gripes we've had is from those who were on pay as you go deals, but I think they've since switched over...

In reply to Miles Berry

by Chris West -
Regarding loaning redudandant machines to pupils without computers - this summer I've been looking at this and have had success with 'Puppy Linux' (http://www.goosee.com/puppy/). It's a stripped down version of Linux primarily designed as a live CD but can be installed on a hard drive.

The big advantage is that it looks like Windows 95/98. So few issues with different systems at home/school.

I'm typing this from Puppy Linux on an old laptop with a 400MHz Celeron that had been left for dead in a cupboard.

I hope to trial this (if needed) next year.
In reply to Chris West

by Miles Berry -
The big advantage is that it looks like Windows 95/98
Now, I've heard some strange things in my time, but...wink
I know what you mean, and I think this is a brilliant way of providing a computer for folks. I believe there are charitable schemes to take old PCs from business and re-use them - could be worth exploring.

In reply to Miles Berry

by Chris West -

The big advantage is that it looks like Windows 95/98
Yes, I realise that to a hardcore Linux user that is probably blasphemous.

In reply to dougal bett

by Josie Fraser -

Hi Doug & Miles,

Just to add to this subject, one that's close to my heart, coming from a poor family myself. Avoiding using learning technologies means that the students you have who don't have technologically adept parents, PC's and/or broadband will miss out on a crucial opportunity to develop eLiteracy and information skills. Don't disadvantage them further!

Firstly, schools should have some kind of loan scheme in place - it doesn't cost a fortune to have a couple of laptops available for emergencies of all kinds. Secondly, kids should be making use of their local libraries - the majority of these have bookable or drop in broadband facilities. It's not ideal but it's useful, and a good environment to work in. Thirdly - have you checked out the governments recently published Digital Strategy? It clearly outlines several plans to make sure that all UK secondary school children have home access to computers, with a couple of the schemes targeting poorer schools/learners.

Hope this helps convince you to go ahead! Josie.

In reply to Josie Fraser

by Val Brooks -
I back all that too - and of course the digital divide isn't just about those who have access to a computer and those who haven't - you need obviously to consider the accessbility from all angles including of course - literacy.
But back to the who has/has not - it is really putting forward a culture of using what's available, whether it's a friend's computer, the local library, a school homework room (and that is the route MANY schools go down), or the local City Learning Centre (if you have one) so it really needn't be a barrier - and the enthusiasm and motivation seen when the kids legitimately can use the computer for their homework is brilliant (although I acknowledge that not every kid wants to be on a computer but there again, it's all about developing skills for the workplace too so learning to use this sort of environment will help too).
I could go on but I won't!!!!
In reply to dougal bett

by S. Hussain -

Hi Doug,

I believe that the Internet has very important role in the Education.

I used the Internet and particular the JANET System when I was doing my research degree. My University located at that time in Staffordshire and I was living and working in Birmingham. So I obtained a permission from one of Birmingham Universities to use their Internet (i.e. JANET System) and I contacted my University at Staffordshire from my hometown Birmingham. I saved in this way time for travelling to Staffordshire and also fares. In 1990, I could not afford to buy a PC and the cost of connection to the Internet was expensive too.

Nowadays, the students at the schools find the Internet very exciting and I am definitely sure that those students will benefit in great deal from using Moodle as extra learning instrument in their education.

There is still a problem: Although the Internet and PC became very cheap there will be many students will find Internet and PC unaffordable. This is especially in the inner city schools. The Solution: I hope the government of the UK looks into Homework Clubs very seriously indeed and provides these clubs with more PCs and above all with qualify instructors. So these instructors can give to those students who join the clubs with help and advice.

In reply to S. Hussain

by Val Brooks -
Just to pick up again on the inner city schools - City Learning Centres were set up by the government in inner city areas so that schools and communities would have the opportunity to access innovative ICT. If anyone out there is in an inner city school and doesn't know if there is a CLC that they and their students can access (during and after school) then please let me know privately and I will point you to one!
In reply to Val Brooks

by Roland Gesthuizen -
We have a group here in Australia sponsored by the ACTU (trade union body) called Virtual Communities. They help assemble computer systems bundled with cost effective finance and contracts. Works out to be from AU$10 per week for a home PC.  Another group I am watching is Linspire. I notice that a UK supplier sells an entry level system for £229. We have supported the work by GreenPC, a local company that refurbishes and recycles desktop computers for community groups.

The digital divide is very real but it is great that there are still hard working people trying to help close the gap.