Future major features

Reports in Moodle. What reports would you like to see?

This discussion has been locked because a year has elapsed since the last post. Please start a new discussion topic.
Picture of Adrian Greeve
Reports in Moodle. What reports would you like to see?
Group Core developersGroup Moodle HQGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

We are planning to implement a more flexible reporting system into the Moodle learning platform (see http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Roadmap). In doing so, we've starting looking at the common reports generated from existing Moodle report plugins (http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/ad-hoc_contributed_reports and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=153059). 

We'd love to get feedback on this, so let us know what reports you'd like to be able to generate and use, as well as any ideas and suggestions that you'd like to see in Moodle reporting.

Thank you!

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
Picture of Jonathan Kulp
Re: Reports in Moodle. What reports would you like to see?

I'm not sure if this qualifies as reporting or not, but I need to be able to see quickly which forum postings lack ratings. Sort of like an assignment where you can choose to display only those that require grading, I need to be able to see only posts that require rating. Right now I have to click into each thread and scroll down the page trying to see if I missed any, which can be extremely time-consuming in my large classes. I believe our school is still running version 2.2, so maybe this feature is already present the current stable release.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Brian Evans

I'll second this!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Robin Fisch

We would like to see site-wide reporting of attendance and grade data exportable to a .csv file. The current version of this type of reporting requires going in to each course to gather the data, which is very tedious and time consuming.

ME
Group Core developers

Robin,

How is attendance defined at your institution? What are the indicators that you need to report on in the cvs file? Do you have an example of the existing data you gather in a course?

Picture of Mykl Belfatto

We would love the same. here's our report now.

Reporte de clases de Inglés (diciembre 2013)

Student name

Ítem de calificación

Calificación

Rango

Porcentaje

Retroalimentación

BASICO 1

Asistencia

0,00-100,00

51,67 %

Participación

0,00-100,00

80,00 %

Examen

0,00-100,00

47,50 %

No hizo el examen final

HOMEWORK

0,00-100,00

0,00 %

falta la tarea

Total del curso

0,00-100,00

48,72 %

Asistencia

Sesiones completadas:

Presente:

Tarde:

Excusa:

Ausente:

Porcentaje:

51.67 %

Puntación Asistencia:

62 / 122

#

Fecha

Fecha

Descripción

Estado

Observaciones

15.03.13 (vie)

16:30

Teacher: Company: - Nivel: Básico

Presente

First Contact: Teacher explained students class dynamics and expectations, dos and don'ts, class rules/students show enthusiasm and excitement, PRESENTARSE DICIENDO SU NOMBRE Y APELLIDOS, Introducing people using Possessive adjectives: MY, YOUR, HIS, HER,

20.03.13 (mié)

Presente

PRESENTARSE Y PRESENTAR A LOS DEMAS students learnt to introduce themselves and others using "My first name is Roberto", My last name is Villa", Questions: what's your first name? what are their first names?

22.03.13 (vie)

Presente

APRENDER A PRESENTARSE Y PRESENTAR A OTROS, Students learnt to introduce themselves using verb "BE", questions: who is she? who are you?

27.03.13 (mié)

Presente

Using the alphabet to spell first, last names and other concepts, number from 1 to 10 to express phone numbers and other numbers, APRENDER A DELETREAR SUS NOMBRES, APRENDER A EXPRESSAR NUMEROS

Picture of Frances Angulo

I think my needs are similar- we use Moodle to track and monitor 306090 day ramp up plans for new hires- so we want to track their progress on all of the courses, without going in to each one. Even just an activity report would suffice- 

I.e. 

Joe: 

Course 1: 100%

Course 2: 80%

Course 3: 50%

Larry:

Course 1: 50%

Course 2: Not Started

Course 3: Not Started 

We would also be able to use this report for better global engagement analytics if we could understand things like: 

Enrollment Date

Last Time Accessed Course 

We would like this information on a student level, not a course level. 

Picture of Alistair Spark

Hi Adrian,

We would love to see a report which would display how many days in a week  each student has visited the course for each week during which the course has been available to students.

Picture of Daniel Neis Araujo
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Translators

Hello,

just adding some links to old discussion about queries: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=153059

and another wiki about similar plugin/queries http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Custom_SQL_queries_report

Picture of John Okely
Group Core developersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Thanks for the links, hadn't come across that wiki article yet!

Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Please try the GISMO report tool. 

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_gismo

I think it can help do exactly what you need

Picture of Alistair Spark

Thanks Nadav!

Looks like it might. So far looks promising! smile

Matt Bury
Group Plugin developers

Hi Adrian and thanks for starting this discussion smile

Personally, I'd like to see more social learning oriented reporting features. I played with this plugin for a while but it was buggy and ultimately too much work to get it to work and keep it working on my Moodle: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=report_forumgraph

Also, I was toying with the idea of creating a learner "heat map" module that queries Moodle's DB logs and reports on individual learners, groups, whole courses, and whole sites as maps and/or graphs to show times of higher and lower activity; times of the day, days of the week, course and activity deadline times, etc. I think it'd be useful, especially across courses to see when learners are busiest online so that teachers, faculty, etc. can see if learners are getting overloaded with work, i.e. to help find strategies spread the workload out more. Additionally, it'd be useful for scheduling synchronous online sessions; what days and times are most learners available online? Look at the heat map. But also, we'd need to know if they're online because they have a deadline or another activity demanding their immediate attention... see next point.

Also a deadline comparison feature for individual and cohorts of students taking more than one course: How evenly spread out are their deadlines to complete/submit work in activity modules? Are there any "choke points" where they'd be overloaded? So that teachers/faculty can take preemptive action before a crisis arises. May be helpful to teachers/faculty so that they can manage the amount of marking/assessment they have to do at any one time.

Does this make sense?

I hope this helps! smile

Picture of Adrian Greeve

Hello Matt,

What you have described sounds like something that we are working on here at HQ. http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Event_Monitor_specification is a very early specification for event monitoring with the final product aiming to be able to provide messages to teacher (and other users) when something interesting happens, such as forum posts in a forum reaching a frequency level.

I'm sure that more details will emerge about this project soon.

ME
Group Core developers

Adrian, 

Just a heads up the spec there references a forum that doesn't exist, and PLD actually is course based not student based. PLD also goes way beyond the message action, that is just one of many possible options that a teacher can set as actions based on an event and criteria.

PLD is more of a combination of conditional activities, restrict access and event processing for a course. We call it an automated assistant for a teacher.

Picture of Rex Lorenzo
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Plugins guardiansGroup Testers

Adrian, I like the spec. I added some additional use case scenarios when we were planning on developing a similar system at our college, but never got around to it.

I am a bit concern about the "List of rules"/configuration screen. It seems like it will be a mess of options like the current messaging system. Also, would there be a way to combine and improve this with the messaging system? It seems like they are both pretty similar. The messaging says where to send messages and this says which events to be sent messages regarding.

Also for these rules, will they have to be setup for every module/course per user? Can we have smart defaults so that the user doesn't have to go to this screen unless it is absolutely necessary?

Picture of Daniel Neis Araujo
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Translators

Hello,

you may take a look at GMoodle (http://www.badiu.net/nportal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6), it is a product written in Java for extracting information, made reports, evasion monitoring, etc.

Unfortunatley its only available in portuguse, but it is widely used here in Brazil.

Picture of Ankit Agarwal

Hi Rex,

Thanks for your interest in the Event Monitor project. A few things to clarify:-
# Yes there would be a way to specify defaults at course/system level, where other users would be able to simply subscribe.
# The report will work closely with the messaging system as the actual notification would be routed through the managing system.

Just to note as Adrian mentioned, the Event Monitor spec is in early stages of planning at the moment. Once it is ready for public feedback we will start a separate thread in the forum to get more feedback from community.

Picture of Adrian Greeve

Thanks everyone for your interest in the Event Monitor specification. I mentioned this specification as it is something that HQ is working on, but it is a seperate project to this one and other people are working on that. So I can't actually comment on how it should be implemented. I would suggest putting comments for that here.

Picture of Mr. Marc

I would like to see a way to select a student and see all the assignments they have or have not completed and also with quizzes they have done.

Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

You can install the Configurable reports block and pick one of the SQL reports that are related to Assign or Quiz modules. and then give the Teacher role in the course the permission to run those reports.

We are using those reports to solve similar needs with our Teachers.

BTW, there is a nice course format - FN Tabs that comes in a set with other plugins. especially the Marking Manager block, that can help too.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Pam Blasius

We are a global manufacturing company and require reports on students progress on every course completion and the reporting requires looking at the entire employee population, regionally, locally and down to the individual. 

Picture of John Okely
Group Core developersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Sounds like a useful report. I'm curious--what kind of things are useful when reporting on course completion?

For instance, would it be completed vs. not completed, or would it show how many assessments submitted so far, or average grade.. etc

Thanks!

Simon Coggins
Group Core developersGroup Plugin developers

The Totara report builder has a couple of completion report sources. You can have a play here:

One record per completion (site wide):
https://demo.totaralms.com/totara/reportbuilder/report.php?id=12

Aggregated (not much data but you get the idea):
https://demo.totaralms.com/totara/reportbuilder/report.php?id=15

Login with user: demoadmin, password: demoadmin

If you click Edit this report > Columns you can see the full list of available columns you can add to the report.

Simon

Picture of Karikalan Kumaresan

Hi Simon, is this completion report available as a block or plugin to be installed in our Moodle instance?

Thanks,

Kari...

Picture of Juan Leyva

Hi Adrian,

I've been reading the specs and it's not clear for me what it's going to be the way for extending the repot builder functionalities

Reading http://docs.moodle.org/dev/reportbuilder/API it seems that extending clases will be the way to go, but...

it will be possible to create sources in any type of Moodle plugin (like local plugins)?

Data sources will be allow only data coming from tables joins? I mean, sometimes is not enought doing table joins for extracting some data in the database for reporting

As you may know I'm the creator/maintainer of the Configurable Reports (CR) plugin and my plan is to migrate all the "CR data sources"  to this new system so I would like to be sure if it will be possible to do that.

Simon Coggins

Hi Juan,

Currently in Totara the whole code directory is scanned for sources by finding files that match 'rb_sources/rb_source*' and contain classes that extend rb_base_source. Now there is class autoloading it makes more sense to autoload the sources and include a file reportbuilder.php similar to how settings.php or db/events.php is loaded. This would work for any plugin type.

Table joins in report builder give access to fields within a new table that is related to the base table, but are not the only way to extract data. You can write complex field statements in the column options or join to subqueries to handle more complex cases. RB also natively supports aggregation.

I'm happy to look at any particular reports you are not sure about and advise on how it could be converted.

Simon

Wazza
Reports in Moodle: to much course based learning!
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

What we really need IMO is step beyond the course-based thinking of Moodle.

We need te be able to have good grading reports that show the grades of studentes in multiple courses.

I can show you an example of a report that we build and I'm still shocked that this is not standard Moodle functionality:

What you see here is a student progress report.

First column: COURSE

Second column: Number of activities in the course

Third column: Number of turned in activities

Fourth column: Number of assignments that need grading

Fifth column: Number of assignments that have not been passed

Sixth column: Number of assignments that have been passed

Seventh column: Percentage of succesfully completed assignments.

This report shows the grades of ALL the enrolled courses of a user. A filter on shortname can be placed to exclude certain courses.

By clicking on the course, you directly go to the specific gradebook of that course and that specific student.

Moodle would make a huge step forward if it would make progress reports like these possible. This is something you can show students, parents, teachers, managers, etc.

GO Moodle GO! 2.8!!!

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Simon Coggins
Re: Reports in Moodle: to much course based learning!

Yes, I agree that providing site-wide access to data should be a goal of the new reporting system.

The report you describe would be very easy to create with report builder. We have something similar for course completion data which allows you to view all course completion data for all users across all courses. You can then filter it by a specific user or a specific course, or by other criteria. You can also aggregate completion results by a common field and get counts and percentages.

Simon

Picture of Phil Aspden

The main thing we still find lacking is the ability to create cohorts at site level that can then be reported on across multiple courses i.e. a programme of courses. Whilst not strictly a reporting issue - the limitation of existing cohorts only as an enrolment mechanism means that it is problematic for example to track apprentices across their induction courses. We use completion and bring in other courses to the report but its a work-around rather than a full solution.

Randy Thornton
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

The two types of client requests I get (and write custom reports for in Configurable Reports) are:

1) Multi-course reports: the same type of reports courses have now, but across all courses, or a filtered subset of courses, including the ability of Teachers to do this for their own courses. There's special interest in reporting of course completion across courses.

2) Time based reports on activities inside and across courses. Examples are: time spent in the course total per student, time spent per various activities. (Beyond reporting but related is the ability to specific minimum/maximum time allowed in courses.)

Randy Thornton
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

In addition to various types of reports, a real need is the ability to schedule reports to run automatically during off hours and be emailed. Something akin to the new Scheduled Task screen for cron or the Auto-backup settings to kick them off on a regular basis.

Having reports mailed - especially to specific users and addresses - can go a long way to working around the issue of having to assign capabilities for all the various reports.

--Randy

Picture of Gabriel Mazetto

What we have done at Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC) in Brazil for the UNA-SUS project is invest a lot of energy building a Object Oriented architecture to help achieve the needs of filtering and high level reporting.

We divided the process in "filter selected" <> "data sources" <> "data objects" <> "the reporting logic" <> "view decorators"

With that architecture the Business logic that correspond of simple queries to the "data objects" asking things like "does this activity have grades?" if so, has it been graded on the expected date?

And after this Business Logic execution, we generate rich reports that include not only the numeric data but also give more information like painting the cell red if it the grade was graded several days after the expected date and so on.

C'est moi :-)
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

It seems very interesting.

Is there somewhere we can have more details about that?

Perhaps a github link with sources?

Picture of Neela Bell

H there!

1) I'd love to see achievement charted rather than just views and posts. I'd like to be able to show which weeks had lower overall academic performance, not just "activity" with clicks and posts.

2) I would also like student names not to scroll off in long horizontal grids. Awkward and time consuming for those of us with a lot of assignments over 30 - 40 weeks.

Thanks,

Neela

Picture of Adrian Greeve

We now created a page in Moodle docs outlining the API for the report builder. You can take a look at it here.

Please feel free to make any comments in this discussion, or here.

Simon Coggins

Hi Adrian,

Looks good, very similar to the original API so far which is good news for us. Converting to namespaces now they are available makes perfect sense and gets rid of all those 'rb_'s which is good!

I like the consolidation of all the add_*_to_*() functions into the constructor (now add_user_objects()) too.

Do you know yet if there is any functionality from Totara you aren't planning on including in core? I noticed group_concat is missing from the aggregation methods list which makes sense given the lack of Oracle support and funky implementation for Postgres/MSSQL.

Anything else you are planning on excluding at this stage?

Simon

Just wondering . . .

I'd like to see some forum reports:

1. Who has/has not posted in a forum
  2. Who has/has not posed in a thread
  3. I agree with Matt: some reports to help with the social side
  4. All the posts with their attachments
  5. All the posts by specific users in a list
  6. Details of who has visited/not visited in time X

-Derek

Just wondering . . .
Course size/file size/files reports.

I know there is a problem with this, like an unsolvable catch 22.

But there is a need for some reports like this:

1. Sizes of courses
  2. Largest files
  3. Sizes of private files repos

My tracker item (languishing at the moment) is here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46581

Catalyst has code for a course size report.

-Derek

Picture of Debbie McDonald

Not sure if this is still timely or helpful but we would love to have a report that includes:

• ability to distinguish between active and suspended students (possibly a Gradebook request)
  • student name
  • email
  • username
  • custom profile fields
  • required activity completion grade
  • pass/fail
  • date of class completion

With the ability to schedule reports to run automatically during off hours via email.

It would also be helpful to have a report that showed multiple class completion dates for users based on a custom profile field i.e. anyone with ACME custom profile field showing all of the classes completed and on what date.

Picture of Germán Valero
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Adrian,

The course size report additional plugin seems to me like a very good tool to have in a standard Moodle (core) site. Many Moodle sites seem to grow a lot faster than expected, and some very active teachers quickly consume available disk storage. I'd vote for it.

The roster report and the GISMO block both got a Moodle hat award by Aparup Banerje. 

Picture of Karen o reilly

Hi , very new to moodle so apologies if not explained well -  

my example -

I have 100 students enroled in a course over 3 years  they do Problem based learning (PBL) in groups, assignments alone, personal development log (PDL) , online exams and quizzes.

I can see their grades in a given assignment or exam. My supervisor , who has to do interim and final assessments wants each student to  have a folder where he can see how the student is progressing across the course, through all the exams, pdl, pbls etc without having to go into each graded exercise. When i export an exam i export all 100. Other than me creating 100 folders for each student and having to export their material to there how can I provide what the supervisor requires?

thanks

Picture of Tomasz Muras
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Plugins guardiansGroup Translators

Hello,

Is the code used for http://prototype.moodle.net/reportbuilder prototype available anywhere?

Tomek

C'est moi :-)
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi,

For al interested people reading, there has been an answer in MDL-30193.

Séverin