Text editors

Atto ditor in full screen mode?

This discussion has been locked because a year has elapsed since the last post. Please start a new discussion topic.
Picture of Hugo Schouppe
Atto ditor in full screen mode?

Hi,

The atto-texteditor window is really too small to enter text in a comfortable way. Maybe it has to do with my theme settings (e.g. max-width = 960px) but nevertheless it is too small to work efficiently (see screen-shot)

1) Is it possible to switch the atto-text editor into full screen mode? Or is there a possibility to increase the horizontal size (it seems possible to increase the height of the editor window but not the width?).

2) I have installed the htmlplus add-on to colorize and style the html-source code of the editor (version 2.7). As far as I can see there is no word wrap, causing you to scroll a lot to see the right handside of the text.

3) Is there a better workflow to create text in Moodle than using the native editor, for example create the html in a dedicated editor and copy/paste it in the atto-window?

Thanks.

screen-shot small window texteditor

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Re: Atto ditor in full screen mode?
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Perhaps you might prefer to switch back to TinyMCE in your profile?

Average of ratings: -
Me!
Group Core developersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers
You could also modify your theme to put the text editor below the "Message" text so it takes the full width. I'm just looking at your screen shot and noticing that half your page is wasted.

Picture of Hugo Schouppe

Hi Damyon,

That's very true. For example, when I resize the browser window a bit (I suppose to the next @media break), the labels appear on top of the text areas making the the editor much wider.

Can you give me some hints how and where I have to make the changes in the theme? I'm using the easy-theme; a stripped down version of clean. I did this just because other (nice!) themes like elegance are too complicated for a beginner like myself.

Thank you

Russell Waldron

Understood, but the full screen view is very substantially better, especially on mobile or old devices. 

C'est Moi....

Well, it is not going to open to the left for that sacred "Add A Block" region strangely expands as you widen the window.  It looks as if you realized the expander square to the lower right with the diagonal lines that should allow you to stretch the text box to the right.  I cannot tell if your screen capture caught the entire area to the right to see if you took advantage of that.

Personally, I believe that the system should remember where you last had it and open it to that size all the time.  I can only guess that someone somewhere actually likes the small text box.  Maybe it is  that same person that actually prefers gray icons.

P.S.  I wonder if your "ditor" is the same as my "edior"  (:

Picture of Daniel Thies
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers
I have posted a plugin to provide full screen mode on the Atto toolbar similar to the one available in TinyMCE. It seems to be working well in the themes that I have tested and should also be available in the plugin database soon.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
cb userpic w harvey
Group Testers

Fantastic news. Thank you so much. Essential. (It does work on the Clean theme, yes?)

Picture of Daniel Thies
Atto editor in full screen mode
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

It is available in the plugin database now, and it does work with Clean and More.  It is possible it has some issues in some other themes, but it should be easy to fix those with some simple CSS additions to either the plugin or to the theme. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
cb userpic w harvey
Latest release shows attachment dropbox in forum (2.8.1, Firefox latest)
Group Testers

Just installed the latest release today and the full-screen view in forum shows the Attachment drop-box in the right-center of the screen. Screenshot:

atto

Picture of Daniel Thies
Re: Latest release shows attachment dropbox in forum (2.8.1, Firefox latest)

Thank you Clay. There is a new version now that prevents items in the background from bleeding through into the editor.  It is a problem that appeared on some pages.  I also think that dialogues opened should be centered correctly now.  Hopefully, they will work on most mobile devices.  Please, let me know if you find more problems.

cb userpic w harvey
Group Testers

Thanks, I'll let you know. Nice speed!

Off topic, do you know if anybody is planning "paste as plain text" or "paste from Word" or "additional colors" for Atto?

Am I the only person wishing for an Auto-save in TinyMCE?

Picture of Just H
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Re "additional colours" does More font colours suit?

Picture of Daniel Thies

It somewhat depends what you need with additional colors. The plugin above allows the admin to specify a list of colors that will be available. There will be a new feature in future that allows the standard plugin to be customized so that the available colors are set by the theme. This is MDL-46531

cb userpic w harvey
Uh-oh. Bug fix release not working in Forum on Chrome
Group Testers
Hi Daniel,

Just discovered this in Full Screen Atto on Chrome.

chrome

But works fine in Firefox:

Firefox

UPDATE: Went back to Firefox tab and surprisingly it had changed to this:

ff bug

Picture of Daniel Thies
Re: Uh-oh. Bug fix release not working in Forum on Chrome

Hello Clay,

Are you using the same computer?  Is it possible that the browser is using a cached version of the old version?  Clearing the browser cache might help.

cb userpic w harvey
Group Testers

Hi Daniel,

I did clear cache on both Chrome and FF, didn't help. I just purged Moodle cache for safe measure, and it still shows the drop file box:

ff caches cleared

Picture of Daniel Thies

I have not been able to reproduce this myself with the recent version.  I just put up a newer one in the database that may work better.  Which theme are you using?  I don't have access to an Apple now.  Does it occur on other platforms.  Thanks again for the feedback.