No Reply

No Reply

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 5

I created a Q and A forum because I wanted to ask questions of my students and have them reply. They are required to reply at least once to all the questions I pose.

However, when setting this up, students do not get a reply link in my questions. They can read them, but cannot reply. I do not want students to be able to start new discussions or reply to other students, just answer my questions.

I checked permissions, and they all seem to be correct for the student role. Could this be a theme issue? There has been some discussion here about this problem, so I am not alone. But the discussions in this forum have not resolved the issue.

Any insights?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: No Reply

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Are you absolutely sure the permissions are correct. Every time I have set up the Q&A forum I have had to fiddle with permissions (I don't know why)

In reply to Marcus Green

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you using separate groups?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Doug Moody -

I am using separate groups, but no, I am not ABSOLUTELY sure permissions are right. 

I need your help for that smile

In reply to Doug Moody

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you use separate groups then you need to post the same question for each of the groups , using the groups drop down because if you only post it once then they won't see the reply button.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Doug Moody

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry Doug my fixing of permissions was of the order of click lots of permissions until it worked approach. But I do recall that any time I wanted to make a Q&A forum work I had to do something with Groups and something with permissions. I found this rather annoying as I think the Q&A forum is the most Social Constructivist way of using the forum and so should have been an out of the box warm fuzzy experience.