How to offer the same courses repeatedly

How to offer the same courses repeatedly

by Ataur Rahman -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there!

I am very new to Moodle.

My asking is how to offer same courses repeatedly after each semester for different group of students.

Let's say some students have finished one semester and are allowed to register for other new courses, how do we deregister him/her from the previous courses. Will it affect the overall grading of the students for those courses?

Or after the course duration being finished, all students will be deregistered.

Please advise.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ataur Rahman

Re: How to offer the same courses repeatedly

by Chris Pangelinan -

Hi Ataur,

Here's what we usually do with our courses.

• At the end of a term, we Hide the course. This way, students can no longer see the course and teachers can still access the records if a student questions their grades. We keep the course in place but hidden for at least one more term. Then, we download the backup and archive it offline.
  • If the same course will be used in the following term, including all resources and activities, then we make a Backup of the original course shell and Restore it as a new course. This gives us a "fresh" course shell for the teacher to use.

Why don't we re-use an existing course shell?

1. If we re-use the existing course, then we no longer have easy access to logs from the previous term. We may need such access if a student questions their grades.
  2. We sometimes have a student who re-takes the course because they dropped out or did not complete the course in the previous term. If we enroll that student into the course shell, then all of their previous work and logs show.

I hope this is helpful.