Formal plugin check results now reported to maintainers

Formal plugin check results now reported to maintainers

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It's not only the plugin code itself being checked during the plugin acceptance review. Before the plugin is approved to land in the Plugins directory, some boring formal aspects of its registration are checked as well. This includes things like meaningful description being provided, checking for source code repository URL or whether illustrative screenshots were attached to the plugin record. None of these aspects are really blocking the eventual plugin approval. If the maintainer explains clearly they can't provide such information, it's generally accepted. However, as pretty high standards have evolved for the items in our directory, having all the useful information filled in place can be considered as a sign of responsible attitude toward the ownership of the plugin.

To make these aspects of the review process more transparent and evident, a new feature has been implemented in the Plugins directory. New report called "Plugin check results" is now displayed to plugin maintainers together with the indication of the importance level and additional help on the issue. This new report can be seen as a complementary one to the existing Code validation report, that reports on issues checked and detected in the uploaded ZIP plugin package.

More information about the plugin initial review process can be found at http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Plugin_validation.

Attachment plugin-check-results.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Formal plugin check results now reported to maintainers

by David Bezemer -

All and well, but why are items marked as Recommended and Suggested blocking release of plugins?

I had a plugin in queue for over 2 months, and just got a message that it's missing a screenshot, I mean come on!!

In reply to David Bezemer

Re: Formal plugin check results now reported to maintainers

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi David. I'm sorry for this misunderstanding. It's not the raised checker issues blocking the release. When we deployed the new checker, there was also a batch job executed and the Plugins bot could possibly mark any issue with some warning reported as "Needs more work". I can imagine it could look as if the missing screenshot was the reason for the delay. I admit that batch job was pretty blind and blunt but it helped us here to reset things and get them moving.

The truth is that we were running out of fuel for proper reviews recently and now all the Plugins team is catching up on things. I am sorry to say that we unfortunately have some submissions in the queue for even longer period than two months sad It makes me sad panda and we try to come up with improvements that would prevent us from such failure in the future.

For now, please, let me ask for a bit of patience. I believe we get your plugin landed very soon. Thanks in advance.