Certificate Showing Wrong date

Certificate Showing Wrong date

by Stephen Mr -
Number of replies: 2

I'm using moodle 2.4.1 and the certificate shows the wrong date.  This site is being used for people to watch a safety video and then print out a certification of completion so they can enter a certain facility.  Well most of the users have used the system last year and each year they must renew the safety credentials.   so they need to have a new certificate each year.    But when a user goes through the courses the certificate gives them the old date on it.  What do I do to make the certificate print out the current date?

Thanks to anyone who can help,  I will be very grateful.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Mr

Re: Certificate Showing Wrong date

by Gary Lyon -

Hi Stephen. Can you provide more information about how your certificate is configured, especially the 'Text Options' section under Administration>Certificate Administration>Edit settings (see attachment)? Thanks

Attachment CertificateOptions.png
In reply to Gary Lyon

Re: Certificate Showing Wrong date

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Stephen,

A single Certificate can not issue multiple certificates to a single user.   Thus your people are probably seeing their  original certificate, not a new one.   Ran into the same problem and have a workaround.

I assume that the big picture is that a person needs a certificate, at least once a year.   The certifying agency  does not care if  someone got a certificate in January, and another one in June.   The  clock  always starts ticking with their last  certificate, when ever they earned it.  

I pick a date and create a new certificate and qualifier every 12 months  ( say the fiscal or calendar year end).  It is the same course. I hide the old certificate and old qualifier.   The certificates reads exactly the same (I get cute and change the border color) but only the  issue date and the unique  code change.  We use a quiz qualifier to determine if someone should get a certificate.  I duplicate the quiz and link the new certificate to it.

I encourage and tell  users how to look up their issued certificates in Moodle to check the date on their previous certificate.  It does mean I have to download and combine files (current and previous issued certificates) to see whose certification has  lapsed.  But it solves the problem. 

I considered other options like  conditional activities or creating a new course for a new cycle, but for us, my solution worked.   As the certifying agency, I need the history of the qualifier, so I  did not  check out if I deleted all attempts at a quiz, would that mean the user's record of having passed it would be recognized by certificate?    Create a new certificate and new qualifier in the same course was the easy way for us.

Hope that helps.  

Chris