Making Quiz questions as mandatory

Making Quiz questions as mandatory

by Deepak Gupta -
Number of replies: 9

Hi all :

Is there anyway we can make the quiz questions as mandatory?

There is a requirement to have people choose an answer for the quiz they are appearing for. Your suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Deepak

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deepak Gupta

Re: Making Quiz questions as mandatory

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

'You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink'.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Alfie Punnoose -

Why must the instructors waist time trying to assess a quiz that had not been answered? If students do not want to answer the quiz then they should not be attempting it. if the attempt and question is mandatory then they can answer that they do not know the answer or leave some comments instead. Computer based quizzing must have some advantage over the paper based, isn't it?

In reply to Alfie Punnoose

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If a student leaves an essay question blank, Moodle automatically gives it a grade of 0.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ron Raney -

All of you assume that everyone is using Moodle for students, and schools. My organization is not using Moodle for this purpose. That should be an exciting thing for the developers to recognize. We use the quiz module to ask questions of participants in our program. We do not want them to skip questions. We want to require them to answer the questions. Why on earth can't you allow the creator of a quiz the option of requiring questiong to be answered? Why do you feel you have to make that decision for us as to whether "students" should be allowed to skip questions? Has there been any new development in this recently that I have missed? I apologize if you have already decided to implement this but I can find no solution.

In reply to Ron Raney

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ron,

'All of you assume that everyone is using Moodle for students, and schools.'

There is an active and vibrant Moodle in Business community. However, unless it is otherwise stated, yes it is true that we do tend to assume that the post relates to the 90% (my guesstimated figures) of sites that are in some form of education (Early Years - Adult, School - CPD, etc) and using the tools in the 'standard' way they were designed. That said - I have always found the entire community happy to bend over backwards to support anyone with any use of Moodle, whether 'standard' or otherwise, if that use case is mentioned anywhere in the post.

In this case, if you want to require questions to be answered, perhaps you may want to take a look at the 'Feedback' activity which I believe does do this (although obviously doesn't have quite the range of question types that the quiz module has).

Richard

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by C Behan -

Sometimes we would like to make him drink! 

In reply to C Behan

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

So, per my previous response, use the Feedback tool which, I believe, does allow questions to be 'required'

There are tools to do most things in Moodle - and if the precise combination you want isn't there, then its open source to develop it. In this case the Feedback tool would appear to provide the solution required without having to do any further development work.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by C Behan -

Thanks Richard for the suggestion.

In reply to C Behan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, but the most you can do is to make him take a mouthful while you are watching, then spit it out into the pot plant as soon you you turn around.

wink