Orphaned files

Orphaned files

by Jeff Ratliff -
Number of replies: 2
I have two video files that were once linked in a chapter of a book but no longer are. I understand that after some time they should be deleted automatically. However, they have not been after several weeks. Here there are:

I'm using Moodle 2.5. When I navigate to the Caption guidelines chapter of the Writing book, there is no link to these files. How can I delete them?

Any help is appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Ratliff

Re: Orphaned files

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Deleted files are deleted after a couple of weeks.

However, these files have not been deleted - as far as Moodle is concerned they are still attached to that chapter of the book, even if the link that existed to them in the text is no longer present.

In Moodle 2.6 (I think) a new icon was added, called 'Manage files' that allows you to delete such files.

In Moodle 2.5, I dont believe there is an easy way to delete files - the workarounds I can think of would be:

1. upload an empty file with the same name (this won't delete the files, but at least they'll be replaced with something that takes up no space)
  2. OR copy the text out of the chapter, delete the chapter, create a new chapter and paste the text into it
  3. (OR upgrade to Moodle 2.6 then delete the files)

In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Orphaned files

by Jeff Ratliff -

Thanks a bunch, Davo, just what I needed.

After I posted, I thought about backing up and restoring without the files, but I could only omit the entire book, So, I ended up with basically your second option. We'll upgrade soon, I hope.

I appreciate your help.