Canvas to Moodle: Restoring IMSCC Backup Fails

Canvas to Moodle: Restoring IMSCC Backup Fails

by Freek Freek -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

We've used Canvas for a semester but we're unhappy with the results, so we're switching back to Moodle.
We've made an export of our Canvas course, which yields us an .IMSCC file.

I tried importing this to our freshly installed Moodle installation (v. 2.6.3.) after setting up a new/empty course.

Sadly, it fails with the error: The selected file is not a valid Moodle backup file and can't be restored.

What steps do I need to follow to get this working?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Freek Freek

Re: Canvas to Moodle: Restoring IMSCC Backup Fails

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I am sure it should work.

To try to work out what is going on, I suggest you do this:
  1. Make a minimal course in Canvas, that does not contain anything you are not prepared to share publicly.
  2. Export it.
  3. Import that into Moodle.
  4. If it does not work, report a bug at https://tracker.moodle.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa, attaching the example file that will not import.
  5. If it does import, then go back to Canvas, and add more complexity to the course, repeating these steps until you have something comparable with the course that will import.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Polly Helm -

Hello,

We have Moodle 2.5+ (Build: 20130530) and have had intermittent success with restoring imscc course files from Canvas. The errors all appear to be of the same type:

Fatal Error in [tempdir]/backup/ef08a40c4fe39872cc4e4dfab84e0fd8/moodle.xml: EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 39060
    Fatal Error in [tempdir]/backup/ef08a40c4fe39872cc4e4dfab84e0fd8/moodle.xml: EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 39191
    Fatal Error in [tempdir]/backup/ef08a40c4fe39872cc4e4dfab84e0fd8/moodle.xml: EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 39306
    Fatal Error in [tempdir]/backup/ef08a40c4fe39872cc4e4dfab84e0fd8/moodle.xml: EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 39436
    Fatal Error in [tempdir]/backup/ef08a40c4fe39872cc4e4dfab84e0fd8/moodle.xml: EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 39570
    Fatal Error in [tempdir]/backup/ef08a40c4fe39872cc4e4dfab84e0fd8/moodle.xml: EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 39678

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

In reply to Freek Freek

by Emma Dresser -

Hi there

Has anyone managed to get this to work? I have found all sorts of strange things when I go to Canvas to create the restore file.

Firstly, if I just want to create a back up of the quizzes, it doesn't choose all the quizzes - I'm not sure which ones it chooses but they are not all from one particular module based, they are a bit random.

Secondly, I get an error message every time when I try to restore the IMSCC file into the Moodle course. We are using 2.6 too.

A screenshot of the error message is attached below but it says:

error/xml_writer_end_tag_no_match

I've sent this to Canvas too but haven't had a response yet.

Emma

Attachment Error 2.JPG