CloudFlare

CloudFlare

by James Brown -
Number of replies: 9

Hi, the ISP which holds my moodle (2.6.2) has an optional service called CloudFlare. This service claims 

CloudFlare accelerates and protects any website online. On average, a website on CloudFlare:

• Loads 30% faster
  • Uses 60% less bandwidth
  • Has 65% fewer requests
  • And, is way more secure.

Wouldn't it be great to my moodle users if this is really the case! Can I have some feedback from my fellow moodlers about integrating CloudFlare with moodle please?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Brown

Re: CloudFlare

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

James,

I have done lot of experimenting with different FREE CDN's (CloudFlare, Incapsula, Google PageSpeed Service), and they all work good, but the performance level are only to be seen with CloudFlare & Google Page Speed (Page Speed is only at  google's consent to provide you).

but be very careful when activating CloudFlare on Moodle, start with all basic settings, NO cache of JS,HTML,CSS, Security settings: Medium, and performance: CDN Only, TTL: 4hours, Cache-Level: Basic

rest keep OFF, as RocketLoader tends to play-up with few plug-ins of moodle.

after 2 days,  start turning ON things, best bit would be selecting the CDN +Basic Optimizations in performance tab, and keep TTL to 4 hours (as selecting CDN + Basic will increase it to a day).

keep security settings as  medium in any case, else it will be blocking clients for no reason.

also, dont turn on KEEP ALWAYS ONLINE (unless you have really bad uptime with server), as I  have seen in cases, keeping this ON,  cloudFlare do advertise them time to time by showing page saying,  "server has no response, but this site is hosted on cloudflare always online technology - click here to learn more".

rest, depending on your content, you CAN enable RocketLoader too (didnt worked well with me, as I am using Tabs Filter so loading use to get stuck), but it  really gives a kick to your site's performance.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to James Brown

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

For your information, moodle.org is using CloudFlare too.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Lyons

CloudFlare

by James Brown -

Thx heaps for your comments, v helpful. 

The current settings are now set as below, please advise.

In reply to James Brown

by Usman Asar -

Hello james,

Sorry I just skipped your post assuming you have done it,

yes these settings are fine to  start

rest, you will see  settings in CloudFlare account, in performance tab (click spanner icon in front of domain in  cloudflare)

and there you'll see optimizations (3 settings) - CDN, CDN +Basic , and  CDN + Full

CDN wont do anything other than just putting your site on multiple POP's so they  get closer to the users.

CDN + Basic: in addition to above, will turn on Minify resources  for JS, HTML, CSS and  will increase cache time from 4 hours to 1 day I think.

CDN + Full : in addition to above, will turn ON Rocket loader as well, now this really will boost performance of your site, but, I have had problems on my moodle, due to the fact that I have customized player on java script + few  plugins

whatever  settings  you change, do  test your site using www.gtmetrix.com (give 10 minutes after  you made changed before testing site on GTMetrix)

In reply to James Brown

by Dale Davies -

I've used Cloudflare for years with great results, those claims look pretty accurate to me too for some sites, you may not get the same mileage from Moodle but Cloudflare will make a difference.

One word of warning, the free plan will not allow you to use SSL.  So if you use HTTPS on your site then this will break, although the paid plan is not exactly expensive.

In reply to James Brown

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
My understanding is that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_networks are effective for sites with high traffice. How big is your operation?

Also, when CloudFlare claims "Loads 30% faster, Uses 60% less bandwidth, Has 65% fewer requests, And, is way more secure" do they provide some measurements, reports, analysis, etc.?

I would also like to know how highly indivialized sites like Moodle profit from content caching around the globe.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Usman Asar -

Visvanath, attached are screen shots of CloudFlare Dashboard (its on one screen, but I couldnt capture full in one go)

Incapsula is another free CDN network, there dashboard does shows even more options, like which datacenter was serving  most content etc, performance wise CloudFlare is better because of number of POP's (23 POP's Globally). security wise Incapsula is better,, but performance is not as good as CloudFlare, as number of POPs  for incapsula  is I think 15, which they are increasing to 27 by the end of this year.
In reply to James Brown

by James McLean -
Be careful with CloudFlare. I am continually running into false-positives all over the web in Chrome, which I firmly believe is doing this because of ad-blocking plugins I run (I know the issues here..) I have no issues with these same sites in Firefox or IE.

So, it has a place, but you may block some users and never know about it.
In reply to James McLean

by Usman Asar -
James, have you given a try to Google PageSpeed Service and/or Incapsula as well to get same results?