New "plugins liaison" position in Moodle HQ team established

New "plugins liaison" position in Moodle HQ team established

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

After couple of weeks of planning and discussions, last week saw a new position in Moodle HQ team. The new "plugins liaison" role is supposed to link Moodle HQ with the world-wide community of plugins developers. The communication channel the position represents is bi-directional. In one way, the liaison keeps the dev community well supported and informed. In the other way, the liaison gathers feedback from the dev community and acts as an ombudsman advocating for the needs of the plugins developers community within Moodle HQ.

Main responsibilities of this job include:

• Managing the Plugins directory content (categories, configuration, permissions and plugins review and approval).
  • Plugins directory maintenance and further development.
  • Feeding and moderating a blog like forum at moodle.org with interesting news on new plugins or updates, reviews, things of note, API changes, good development practises etc.
  • Gathering and acting on feedback on the overall plugins development procedure and the actual plugins directory UI and features.

I must admit I did not hesitate long and proudly accepted the challenge of holding this new position. Additional plugins are essential part of the whole ecosystem where Moodle as a software itself is (just) a platform - like a mobile OS is a platform for apps. Moodle as a project rely on top-quality, trustworthy and continuously maintained community plugins. And I'm happy to be now part of the plugins facilitators team who do their best to keep this ecosystem live.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: New "plugins liaison" position in Moodle HQ team established

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Welcome, and good luck!

In reply to David Mudrák

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Congratulations on your new position as 'plugins liaison' in Moodle HQ smile

Will you be also the person receiving the 'plugins wish lists' from the Moodle community ?

• I wish the Moodle plugins page had a new tab (next to the Description, Download versions & Stats tabs) about 'Available translations', listing the available translations for the particular plugin already made in AMOS, updated weekly, which I think would be extremely useful for Moodle users of languages other than English and multi-lingual sites.
  • I wish all Moodle plugin description pages always had a link to 'Moodle Docs page for this plugin' (just as there are 'Website URL', 'Source control URL', 'Bug tracker' & 'Contribute translations for {your language}). This page could be automatically initiated with the link to external documentation for the plugin (eg, in Github) if no Moodle Documentation page has been already created as described in https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Plugin_documentation ).

Additional plugins and languages are very strong (unparalleled) points in Moodle, and your new job will surely make an even better Moodle for all of us.

In reply to Germán Valero

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Will you be also the person receiving the 'plugins wish lists' from the Moodle community ?

Yes.

listing the available translations for the particular plugin already made in AMOS

See and vote for MDLSITE-2289

I wish all Moodle plugin description pages always had a link to 'Moodle Docs page

And so do I. All plugin maintainers have a chance to put a link to a docs page, be it in our own MediaWiki or elsewhere (like github). I personally prefer this over forcing the use of our docs (even for dummy redirecting). We generally encourage maintainer to make some documentation for their plugins, but I know it's not always true. I am pretty sure that most maintainers will actually appreciate any help from the community on this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)