Randomly overridden scores

Randomly overridden scores

by Dan Hildebrand -
Number of replies: 8

For some reason, a ton of grades in my grade book are overridden, often giving students zeroes regardless of what grade they actually earn. I know that entering a grade directly into the grade book causes grades to be overridden, but that is not what is happening. Students' grades are being overridden for quizzes that are automatically graded by the website. Is there some way to stop this from happening? Also, is there some way to fix these overridden grades without having to open them individually from the grade box and unchecking the overridden box? Thanks! (I have over 200 students and this problem is taking up a lot of my time!)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Hildebrand

Re: Randomly overridden scores

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Dan,

My first thought... could it be that someone is doing that? Maybe someone got the password of a teacher or an admin account. In any case, please provide more info about your setup (i.e. OS, web server, database server, Moodle versions).

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by dawn alderson -

Guillermo,

is this not a database issue? Scratching head-not sure what OS etc has to do with it...am learning :0) Expand-if you have time-most appreciated.

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Guillermo Madero -

Yes, a database... but to me it first sounded like a hacking issue; well worth taking a look, at least. Do you believe in "random"? smile

In order to consider the problem from the database point of view, more info is definitely needed as there are many factors to take into account.

Present facts and background in your post.

Ok... first advice... enable Debugging

Second recommendation... check the web server and database server error logs.

Also, and assuming a Windows environment, check for virus/malware, just to start.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Elizabeth Pavlovich -

Dear Guillermo,

A number of my teachers have just come across this situation. Random assignments have been overridden to a perfect score and for some their students' Course Total is now showing as overridden.

Can you please give me specific questions to ask  IT. He looked into my course and at my assignments that started showing as overridden and then wrote me back saying  he has no idea why they started showing as overridden. 

Some other issues that are new (that may or may not be related) quiz scores will randomly hide themselves on the grade book, I have had to click the eye to unhide them multiple times during the semester,  but when I log in a few days later they will show as hidden again. Also, when students send us messages in Moodle the messages will not forward to our email addresses. Just FYI in hopes that gives you some idea of what/where the problem may be.

What direction would you send him in to start looking for the problem?

Thanks you so much for your help.

In reply to Dan Hildebrand

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Take a look at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-38732 - it is likely the problem you are seeing.

In reply to Eric Merrill

by dawn alderson -

OK.

Scenario:

Students complete quiz/questions.....grades in gradebook.

Time set for adjustments (on teacher's part)...e.g.  could be 50% quiz/question assess and 50% portfolio, say.  So teacher is going to need access to the final score, to adjust/put in final summative score...what is wrong/insufficient about this:

User has to manually turn off override for affected items.

I am missing something-yes?

Sorry, Dawn.

In reply to dawn alderson

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't understand what you are asking...

The bug is that if the teacher goes into the gradebook, and while they are editing the gradebook something happens that causes a grade to change (like submitting a quiz), there is a conflict when the teacher saves (even if they didn't change the grade item in question) which causes an override. 

This is a normal, but complicated, problem with parallel access to data. Hopefully with the bug identified, we will be able to get a patch ready to fix it in the not too distant future.