Installation help

Upgrading to Moodle 2.7 from 2.4.3

Picture of Gary Lebowitz
Upgrading to Moodle 2.7 from 2.4.3

I am just starting to think about  thinking about upgrading wink from Moodle 2.4.3 to 2.7, and as a first step i just checked (as recommended in the documentation) my Environment info (see attached). As the first 3 entries are marked Check I first of all, while thinking about thinking about upgrading, if I must actually first make the necessary changes on my server (running CentOs 6.4 and Plesk 11 to access via th Web) before taking my next step. Once someone answers this question I'm sure I'll have others (unless there's a YouTube video out there someone can recommend that shows how to do this).

Thanks in advance for any help/encouragement before taking the next step..... 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Upgrading to Moodle 2.7 from 2.4.3
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Unfortunately, that's not the requirements for 2.7. Your versions of both PHP and MySQL are too old...

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.7_release_notes#Server_requirements

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Many thanks. That tip saves me all sorts of work, I suppose. MySQL and PHP were what came down when I did my semi-automated install via Plesk 11. May I assume that there's nothing that can be done to fix this? I should point out that I do have access via SSH to and total control over my server and can work from the command line, But I should point out that my current 2.4.3 version of Moodle, for one site, and 2.5.2 for another are both mission critical. Perhaps I could create an entirely new directory and work exclusively from the command line to get the right MySQL and PHP and Moodle 2.7s and experiment in a safe part of the server with a fresh install? 

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Might this get me where I need to be on a server running CentoS 6.4 with Plesk 11? 

http://www.thelinuxchef.com/to-upgrade-php-and-mysql-on-plesk-running-linux-server-pleask-running-linux-server/

And, more important, would my Moodle 2.4.3 and 2.5.2 continue to work after such an upgrade. The other, more general, question is: How important is it to move to 2.7 if what I currently have works fine?

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm out of my depth unfortunately being neither a Centos or a Plesk user. Even the latest build of Centos 6.5 doesn't come with nearly new enough versions although I do know that there are some reasonably reliable RPM sites that provide the required versions. 

In general, upgrading things like PHP and MySQL can be potentially challenging. 

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know Plesk if I fell over it and have no idea how that might affect things.

However, if you do manage to get them upgrade you should have no concerns about your existing sites. They will (should?) be fine. 

As always, take backups before you break it wink

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Many thanks. I am going to go real real slow  with this. Apparently there is a way of upgrading both PHP and MySQL using the link I included in my last message, and I am now in the Plesk forum interacting with people who have done this. I just have to weigh the pros and cons of moving to 2.7, given that my installation works 100% perfectly. And, yes, I will make sure to backup everything that works before I start fiddling. Nothing worse than "fixing" what ain't broke....

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Might be time to consider installing VirtualBox on a laptop ... flavor or your choice (I happen to use a Mac laptop) ... install a guest OS - the same CentOS version and use that as your playground for learning what really is the best tool for Linux boxen ... the command line (my humble opinion of course! - but when it comes to updating/upgrading Moodle find the command line using git *is* the way to go.).

I've done that recently due to upgrade requirements for PHP and MySQL (CentOS doesn't have the versions required in their repo but they are available in 3rd party repos like the one Moodle recommends using webtatic.

And, the newer version of PHP does something different on CentOS 5 (probably 6 as well) in that mysqlnd is default rather than mysqli.   Installing 2.7 has no option for mysqlnd ... only mysqli.

So one learns the work-arounds, etc. on something that could be blown away.   One is then prepared for attacking the production Moodle server and there will be less likelihood of something major holding you up.

Still ... 2.7 *is* a .0.   Might wait until it's a 2.7.2 before making that leap.   It is supposed to be a long term support version so you do want to get there, but there is nothing pressing if you are running a 2.5 or 2.6 for a while.

Upgrades to PHP and MySQL affect any/all apps that use them ... have a wordpress on the same server?   That could be affected by the upgrades to PHP and MySQL.   So that is also true of a 2.4 site (another domain) or a 2.5, or a 2.6 ... they all use the same copy of PHP and the same MySQL (normally).   Unless you really know what you are doing and have a big box that could handle running multiple versions of PHP and of MySQL.   That, is guruish, BTW.

My  2 'sense' ... uhhh, nope, spelled it right! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Stan Counsell

Ken,

I found you post most interesting.  I have been having problems installing and setting up 2.6.2 and was considering just uninstalling and going for 2.7.  I guess I'll wait.

Stan

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Hi Ken, 

Many thanks for these important tips. Yes, I think I'll experiment with the set-up you suggest and wait for a 2.7+ version to come alone before actually moving myself over to it. No, no Wordpress on my server. Just very important Moodle sites versions 2.4.3 and 2.5,2.

Gary

Picture of Ken Task

Checked out the link and noticed that it shows command line method.   So what's with using command line with Plesk 11?   Appears the page instructs how to setup a CentOS server with the Plesk repositories and if you have access enough to do that then one could also use epel, remi, and webtatic repos as well.   All of those appear to have more recent versions of PHP and MySQL.

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/yum/sn-updating-your-system.html

while above says version 5 of CentOS, still applies to version 6 of CentOS.

Since you can use command line, would investigate installing git and do your installations (and after installed via git) upgrades to moodle via git.   That would also enable you to upgrade from 2.4.3, to 2.5.x+, to 2.6.x and then upwards to 2.7 when ready.

Why march the site via the versions upwards?   Well, while there are some that say one could hyperjump, what of things like the two assignment mods?   Have you converted those to the new assign?   There have been changes to quiz stuff as well.  Marching upwards via git enables one to take care of those things with stable versions of Moodle (known to work and have been fixed/patched, etc..).

Since you have 2.4 currently, check out:

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Git_for_Administrators

Your first step then should be to get the current site running under 2.4 using git.

Once you've figured that out, it's easy to upgrade to 2.5.x.  Pause ... check site ... backup ... then upwards again to 2.6.x.  Pause ... check site ... backup ... then upwards again to 2.7.x when ready.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

I was looking in the 1-click application installation area of my Plesk 11 interface and just noticed that underneath the 2.4.3 installation entry there is a clickable "Update Available" link sitting there daring me to click it. (See attachment.) I would assume that if I did click it my current versions of PHP and MySQL used with version 2.4.3 would be updated as required and everything would work perfectly. But before doing something I might really regret, is there anyone out there who might have made such a Plesk "1-click" upgrade to 2.7 from 2.4.3? Also, can I assume that using more recent versions of PHP and MySQL always work with the data of sites created on an earlier version of Moodle (in my case 2.4.3)?

Picture of Ken Task

Well, I'll bite ... are you sure the *upgrade* is to 2.7?  or is it an *update* to 2.4.3 (highest version of that series is now 2.4.10).   Folks have used those on-click buttons before and experienced issues afterwards.   Is Parallels going to support their one click button or they going to dump support off to Moodle.org community?

Again, think you are in need of a tinker setup so you can find the best solution for your situation.

Uhhhh ... this is open source ... so ...

'can I assume that using more recent versions of PHP and MySQL always work with the data of sites created on an earlier version of Moodle'.   Sooner or later PHP and/or MySQL might progress enough where code written earlier will not be supported.   It might still function, but complains alot.

'always work with the data' ... hmmmmm, sooner or later the 2.4 version will slide to un-supported.    It is already in the category of supported for security fixes and 'data loss'.  If your current 2.4 uses 'legacy' file system or if one has not converted assignments etc.  then ... one needs to do that ... now.

Uhhh ... put it another way .... does Microsoft support XP any longer?   does Apple support OS 9 any longer?   Supported forever????   Is there such a thing?

Feel am qualified to express the above opinions cause I still have a Tandy Radio Shack Model 4!!!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Not sure if the upgrade is to 2.7, but I am sure that if I click on the install button for a new version it is 2.7. At least that's what it says next to the Install button. So I would assume clicking on the upgrade button moves one on to 2.7, too. I would also assume they have thought of the problem of PHP and MySQL versions (MySQL and perhaps PHP were most likely installed initially when I click the Moodle 1-click install button many moons ago). Parallels give 0 support. Period. You break it; you bought it. Or in more gentle terms, everything is up to the user to "discover". In my case, with a perfectly running 2.4.3 system that could be a problem. Yes, I will need to do a bit of extra work I'm afraid and play around in a sandbox before diving into the water.  And thanks for the legacy file system conversion heads up. 

Picture of Ken Task

Well, you know what 'they' say about the word 'assume'? smile 

And Parallels offers no documentation/hint etc. on what the buttons mean?  upgrade vs update should be kinda universal but maybe not always.  

Hmmmm, IMHO, if Parallels is such an adventure and they offer no support (not even community?), I'd question if it's worth using or not ... but that's me.   Know for a fact that git (upgrade or update) from command line works.

Wonder if anyone knows how long 'legacy file system' will be supported?

'spirit of sharing', Ken