General help

Tools for generating Moodle courses outside of Moodle

Picture of Guildford College Web Services
Tools for generating Moodle courses outside of Moodle

I'm trying to make life easier for tutors, does anyone know of any learning design tools which can create Moodle courses?

For example there is a tool called CADMOS (http://cosy.ds.unipi.gr/cadmos/) which exports .mbz files but its a bit basic, I'd like the tool which allow me to import images, folders and Word docs etc.

I know it sounds a bit backward, why not build in Moodle itself, its just some tutors prefer to build in non web based tools because they don't need to worry about network speed / timeout issues as the software is installed locally.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Perry Way
Re: Tools for generating Moodle courses outside of Moodle
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Here's what I would try as a first course to try: Install a second copy of Moodle but on their PC. Let them use that one to build courses. Then backup the course on their PC Moodle, take the file and restore on your production Moodle.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Agreeing with Perry. There are several packages that can be installed locally. Microsoft has one. Bitnami has one. Moodle has one for windows here http://download.moodle.org/windows/ Also for Mac, etc.

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm not really recommending it but you could use one of the millions of SCORM generating tools that are out there. You end up just using Moodle as a SCORM "player" so it's not really doing things the "Moodle way" but that doesn't stop lots of people (especially for training).

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of dawn alderson

...but the latest version of SCORM (2.4) is not supported-iS Tin Can?

Just a wee thought.

D

Picture of Javier Escalera

Ooops! I am late to the party...

... Maybe installing a wamp stack with Moodle so that the local computer is their own sandbox? Just an idea.

J

Picture of William Beazley
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Let me inject a note of caution here.  There are resources not "backed up" with a course.  Glossaries and test banks are two examples.  There have to be exported and imported separately.  These are the only two I've fallen over so far.

Just be careful.

Bill