Tools for generating Moodle courses outside of Moodle

Tools for generating Moodle courses outside of Moodle

by Guildford College Group -
Number of replies: 6

I'm trying to make life easier for tutors, does anyone know of any learning design tools which can create Moodle courses?

For example there is a tool called CADMOS (http://cosy.ds.unipi.gr/cadmos/) which exports .mbz files but its a bit basic, I'd like the tool which allow me to import images, folders and Word docs etc.

I know it sounds a bit backward, why not build in Moodle itself, its just some tutors prefer to build in non web based tools because they don't need to worry about network speed / timeout issues as the software is installed locally.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Guildford College Group

Re: Tools for generating Moodle courses outside of Moodle

by Perry Way -

Here's what I would try as a first course to try: Install a second copy of Moodle but on their PC. Let them use that one to build courses. Then backup the course on their PC Moodle, take the file and restore on your production Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not really recommending it but you could use one of the millions of SCORM generating tools that are out there. You end up just using Moodle as a SCORM "player" so it's not really doing things the "Moodle way" but that doesn't stop lots of people (especially for training).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by dawn alderson -

...but the latest version of SCORM (2.4) is not supported-iS Tin Can?

Just a wee thought.

D

by Javier Escalera -

Ooops! I am late to the party...

... Maybe installing a wamp stack with Moodle so that the local computer is their own sandbox? Just an idea.

J

In reply to Javier Escalera

by William Beazley -

Let me inject a note of caution here.  There are resources not "backed up" with a course.  Glossaries and test banks are two examples.  There have to be exported and imported separately.  These are the only two I've fallen over so far.

Just be careful.

Bill