Themes

Need help with two issues in Essential theme

Picture of Willow Nolland
Need help with two issues in Essential theme

Hi,

I'm developing a course for a client using Moodle 2.6 and the Essential theme.  Forst of all, let me preface this by saying that my background is in the content development area of instructional design.  I'm not well-versed in programming and coding.  So, those are the areas I struggle with when I need to customize a course.  Therefore, I'm positive that my question has an easy fix that I just don't know about.  However, rather than spend countless hours trying to research it and figure it out on my own, I figure it's easier to ask the experts.  So, with that said, I am having the following problems:

I changed the color settings for the background and header in the course I am developing using custom CSS.  However, the header has a thin blue border all around it.  I can't get it to go away.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, I need to remove the wording JSTOR that is currently next to the laptop icon (which I am replacing with a custom icon), but I can't find a way to delete it.

Image of JSTOR header

I'm including a screenshot so you can see both of the issues I am talking about.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!!!

Average of ratings: -
It's only an avatar...
Re: Need help with two issues in Essential theme
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi,

To do what you want to do with this theme, would mean quite a bit of coding, so if you are a novice you will find it difficult at times until you become accustom to looking at the layout files and seeing how they are constructed.

To remove the name from the header that is next to the LapTop icon, you would first need to find the columns1.php file in the essential/layout/ directory. Then using Notepad or a text editor look for and remove this bit of PHP code...

<?php echo $SITE->shortname; ?>

from this line...

https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/layout/columns1.php#L59

Then save the file back to your server.

You will need to do this with all the layout files in that directory that have that bit of code in that specific place.

As for the border around the topmenu bar I will need to look at that first. If I find a solution I will get back to you later.

Cheers

Mary

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi, About the border in the menu bar. You need to look for and change any reference to .navbar where you see CSS that has border: 1px solid #123456 (where #123456 represents the Hex colour code) , in the styesheets in essential/style

Cheers

Mary

Picture of Willow Nolland

Thank you! I am new to coding, but I am learning as I go along.  Each thing I do helps me understand it better smile