Auto-discovery of 3rd-party plugins

Auto-discovery of 3rd-party plugins

by Scott O'Connell -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

We have developed plugins (Local and Auth) in order for our application to integrate with Moodle. I was wondering if there was a way we could stipulate some sort of URL in our plugin so that it can be polled for updates, similar to how Moodle does it with the core and its own plugins, themes etc via Moodle.org?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott O'Connell

Re: Auto-discovery of 3rd-party plugins

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is not just Moodle's 'own' plugins that are checked for updates - the vast majority of plugins published on Moodle.org are 3rd-party plugins that have been submitted there.

If you upload your plugins to the Moodle.org plugins databasehttps://moodle.org/plugins/registerplugin.php ) then they will be automatically included in the update checks.

In reply to Davo Smith

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Also, for development and debugging purposes, there is also $CFG->alternativeupdateproviderurl but I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve.
In reply to Davo Smith

by Scott O'Connell -

Thanks for your reply,

Our plugins are actually just enhancements to the API functions, so perhaps I will look at uploading - or even contributing to the core.