Teaching with Moodle

Ideas for moodle activities for ESL (English as a Second Languege) class

Picture of Ildiko Barthos
Ideas for moodle activities for ESL (English as a Second Languege) class

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to Moodle. I've just created my first ever experimental Moodle course just to explore how the different resources, activities, and blocks work.

If you are an ESL teacher for adult students, what activities do you like to include in your courses? I have experimented with "glossary", "database", "forum", "wiki" and "chat". How do you use these activities in your courses?  

Thank for sharing your ideas.

Average of ratings: -
Matt Bury
Re: Ideas for moodle activities for ESL (English as a Second Languege) class
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Ildiko,

Jeff Stanford collated some examples of Moodle activities that are aimed at second language teaching for Moodle 1.9: http://blog.matbury.com/2010/07/25/book-review-moodle-1-9-for-second-language-teaching/ The principles will be very similar for Moodle 2.

You may also want to look for Moodle courses that other teachers and curriculum developers have shared on the main Moodle hub: http://moodle.net/

In my opinion, the tools and technology are the easy part. The hard part is cultivating a productive, engaging climate/atmosphere, and coming up with SLA activities that are effective in online environments. I recommend trying to get to grips with Moodle's pedagogical foundation as much as possible: http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Pedagogy (If you're not already familiar with social constructivist oriented pedagogies/andragogies).

Garrison, Anderson, et al's Communities of Inquiry model is well worth a look too: http://coi.athabascau.ca/

I hope this helps! smile

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Thank you Matt. Jeff Standford's book looks like a really good resource, and a visit to http://moodle.net/ is a great avenue too.

I can see from your blog that you really know a lot about Moodle, so if you don't mind I will just squeeze in another question here. smile

What icon in the above toolbar should I click on to change font style, font size, and font color? You see, I created my first ever moodle course so that I could experiment with the different features (and because it is an assignment for my E-learning moudle in the MA program I am taking at the moment), but two days after I built my page, Moodle was updated to a new (2.7) version which changed the format of the toolbar. Now that I want to polish my course, I can't find these essential icons. Can you tell me where they are?

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

If you have admin rights on a Moodle site then you add add font color  to the toolbar from the admin settings screen. Please see the section on Site administration settings in Text editor If you don't have admin rights, then perhaps you should point the admins of you Moodle to that page ;) Click the AA icon for font styles.

Thank you Mary. I have notified my admins of the issue and all is back to normal. smile

paula

Ildiko,

I have that second language book. It has some great ideas for ESL teaching. Some of them suggest some 3rd party plugins that may not be in your Moodle. Try talking your Moodle Admin into installing it. If they don't want to, then get back to us for ideas for work arounds for specific activities you want to try. 

Here are some ideas one of our Spanish teachers uses to get students using a 2nd language. 

Written language:

• Forums of course also students do group research projects, post their PowerPoint in forum and others give feedback before presentation
  • Groups researching have a Moodle chat where they can discuss their project and work on it
  • Journal- we don't have the journal module. We us was database for this

Spoken language

• Groups get together and make video of their presentation. Then post it in forum for students to watch and ask questions
  • Students record some assignments and post them to Moodle
Hearing Language
  • Teacher provides some short videos in the target language which students listen to then have assignments to follow up their understanding
  • Presentation videos from above
  • Audio instructions for some activities and or quiz 
I hope some of those ideas help.   cool

Thank you Paula. All these ideas are great leads! Yes

Picture of Alan Hess

Hi Ildiko

If you have beginners, then this Moodle course I use with new adolescent EFL classes might interest you.

http://stories4learning.com/moodle/course/view.php?id=10

It has 4 stages:

1) Watch an amusing video. In my case a teen soap opera from C4 TV in the UK.

2) Read through a recount of the video story (as eBook) with teacher's help.

3) Then practise recounting the story individually by building up sentences in appropriate order:

•      first using ready made 'blocks of meaning' ,
  •      progressing to single words
  •      and finally spelling patterns.   (Hot Potato JMix puzzles are automatically generated for these steps!)

4) Use a Wiki (personal or collaborative) to write an original text using a similar genre to the original.

Repeat process or repeat with new material.

I have had a lot of success with the approach and particularly with learners who have struggled with traditional materials.

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan. Your Moodle course for beginners looks very inspiring for a  Moodle newbie like me. It really helps me visualize what you can do with Moodle. Yes