If you have beginners, then this Moodle course I use with new adolescent EFL classes might interest you.
It has 4 stages:
1) Watch an amusing video. In my case a teen soap opera from C4 TV in the UK.
2) Read through a recount of the video story (as eBook) with teacher's help.
3) Then practise recounting the story individually by building up sentences in appropriate order:
- first using ready made 'blocks of meaning' ,
- progressing to single words
- and finally spelling patterns. (Hot Potato JMix puzzles are automatically generated for these steps!)
4) Use a Wiki (personal or collaborative) to write an original text using a similar genre to the original.
Repeat process or repeat with new material.
I have had a lot of success with the approach and particularly with learners who have struggled with traditional materials.