Hardware specifcations

Hardware specifcations

by Saeed Amiri -
Number of replies: 8

Hi

I have learned that as a general rule of thumb "Moodle can support 10 to 20 concurrent users for every 1GB of RAM". Now my question is what hardware specifications I need for a Moodle website (version 2.7) which has just started its work and most probably it takes time before anybody enrolls in it and mostly it has visitors than regular customers who use the courses?  They may as well sign up but not necessarily buy the courses. What hardware specifications then, and in particular how much Ram.

Many thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Saeed Amiri

Re: Hardware specifcations

by Richard Price -

Hi Saeed,

It is not a good idea to set the specification to your current customer base (zero), but instead to your future course customer base that you want to serve from this server. You already have a server I think.

How many customers are you targeting or expecting during the next few years?
How will they use it?    - all at once? or when ever they need it.

Concurrent use might be highest if you were to run Quiz/exams at the same time. From your expectations of maximum customers and type of activity you will use on this, helpful suggestions can be given by people with more experience than myself.

In reply to Saeed Amiri

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Saeed,

have you bought the server/hosting already?

I had comfortably ran 100+ users on shared hosting (hostmonster) and it didnt even broke sweat, whilst those 100 users were all logged in same time, uploading assignments (last minute rush).

it depends on how many users you  can expect in future, or the growth of users per  month etc, if you are  expecting surge, then I would recommend  getting a VPS/Hybrid server. or  better go cloud as in that  you will have choice to increase resources on a click.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Saeed Amiri -

Hi Usman

Do you mind letting me know about the specifications of the shared hosting you had bought. This might help me decide between the shared hosting and the vps.

In reply to Saeed Amiri

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you don't know how many concurrent users you do have or will have then nobody else does either. I just wouldn't get myself into a position where it is hard to upgrade if your project takes off. Equally well, don't purchase more than you need in the first place - as it's just costing you money for nothing. 

In reply to Saeed Amiri

by Saeed Amiri -

Hi 

Thanks every one for your comments. I had a shared host for sometime but the speed was not satisfying. At the moment, I am thinking of renting a VPS/Hybrid server. The customers I think I might have in a period of a month do not exceed 10. Over a span of several month I expect to have about 50. With that in mind, and considering the conditioned I started my question with - that is people who might just visit the website, search around, or register but not necessarily with the intention of buying the courses- do you think the following specifications for a VPS/Hybrid server suit me?

RAM: 1GB

CPU: single core

HDD: 25 GB

Monthly traffic: 40 GB

Port: 1gigabit

Best

Saeed

In reply to Saeed Amiri

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Saeed,

for this amount of users, a shared host will be sufficient for your needs, As I mentioned earlier, I had 100 users logged into same time on shared host and it worked fine.

why dont you give a try to www.crocweb.com and go for their lowest package. They have servers on Litespeed servers and SSD, I am currently using them on one of my moodle projects and they are fast.