General help

Setting Grade Item Hidden

Picture of Michael Hughes
Setting Grade Item Hidden
Group Developers

If you set a Hidden Until value on a grade item, and then toggle the visibility, does this get removed?

M

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Setting Grade Item Hidden
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I don't know... go and try it and then tell us big grin

Group Developers

I have discovered what is going on.

Firstly setting the Hidden field to on or off sets the db field to 1 or 0 as expected, overwriting any timestamp that is in there from the Hidden Until setting.

The Turnitin Direct Plugin however has a call in lib.php called turnitintool_grade_item_update() which sets the grade item's hidden field to the date/time to the Post Date of the *last* Part in the Turnitin activity.

This turnitintool_grade_item_update() function is *also* called every time the "intro" page of the Turnitin activity is viewed.

So if you make the grade item explicitly visible *before* the Post date of the last Turnitin Part, then the grade item is hidden again when someone views the turnitin activity.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Howard Miller

You didn't say it was Turnitintool... not even a core plugin wink

Group Developers

True enough smile

I was asking about the core gradebook as I wasn't sure and hoped that there was a gradebook API expert who could tell me...I'd assumed (rightly) that you couldn't set a hidden/not hidden *and* still retain the hidden until value somewhere (unused as it were) but wanted some reassurance.

I'm not convinced that TII should be imposing such conditions upon the grade item in the gradebook (or any plugin for this matter) but the fact is that the facilities are there to do it smile.

It was confusing the hell out of one of staff who could not tell why whenever he made the grade item visible, a short while later it was hidden again.

Picture of Howard Miller

I'm not sure I would trust the Turnitin plugin to play nice...