Installation help

500 Internal Server Error

Picture of Fergal McCann
500 Internal Server Error

My Moodle was working fine on Monday evening close of business and on Tuesday morning it was down with the following error 500 Internal Server Error.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I have spoken to the hosting company and they stated that its an issue with the .htaccess file within the Moodle directory.

This is caused by invalid entries in the .htaccess file from within the main folder of (Moodle address on webserver), which seem to have been made intentionally. For more info regarding this, please see the following thread from Moodle's bug tracker: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16957

I have looked at the bug tracker but it's in relation to version 1.7 where as I am running version 2.6 (Build: 20131118).

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: 500 Internal Server Error
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, what changed? Don't say nothing.... wink

Moodle doesn't (usually) need a .htaccess file at all. Anyway, the first step is to get Debugging enabled. You will need to do it in the config.php file (the lines to add can be found and copied from config-dist.php). 

You will also need to ask your hosting company what the *actual* error was in the web server error log. A 500 error tells you nothing useful at all. 

Picture of Fergal McCann

Hi Howard,

Thanks for getting back to me..

I have got debugging enabled but nothing is showing...

The errors from the error log is as follows:

• [Wed May 14 01:37:45 2014] [alert] [client 157.55.33.28] /.../.../.../mydomain/folder/.htaccess: AllowOverride not allowed here 
  • [Wed May 14 04:00:18 2014] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `Parallels Panel' does NOT match server name!?
  • [Wed May 14 08:33:17 2014] [alert] [client 81.148.87.154] /.../.../.../mydomain/folder/.htaccess: Invalid command 'Note:', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration 

Thanks,

Fergal

Picture of Fergal McCann

I removed the .htaccess file and my site is up and running again.

Thanks for you help Howard.

Fergal

Picture of Fergal McCann

Moving on from my previous post. I deleted the .htaccess file and logged into moodle with no problems. 

30mins after this the site went down with the same error. I looked in the file directory and the .htaccess file was back in there. 

How can I permanently get rid of this file or rectify this problem?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Fergal