Attendance (plugin)

Attendance Site Data Block

Picture of Don Hinkelman
Attendance Site Data Block
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

As Dan and others requested, here attached is a block we call "Attendance Site Data" or "attendance_csv_all". It's purpose is to collect all the Attendance module data from a whole site and put it into a single excel file (csv).  We have 150 foreign language classes that use the Attendance module and it pulls the data we want (dates of absences) from all of them.  The dates to pull are configurable as you can see in this screenshot. There are no docs so you just have to try it.  I think only admins can see it on the front page of the site, but I am not sure.

attendance_csv_all

We use it in Moodle 2.5.  The data downloaded into the excel sheet will show the course name, course instructor, student names, and dates of the classes as indicated in your Attendance Module. Within the grid, the exact dates of absences will be printed.  We look for absences because our staff will contact students will large numbers of absences from these required courses.

You may want different data, so you are welcome to re-program this block and I hope you re-post your new version code here on this forum.  Sorry, I don't have time or knowledge to put this into the Plugins database.  The last time I tried it took me a year and a half to get the Sharing Cart approved. If you want to post comments, feature requests or code to integrate, you can post it here but we only have funds to update it once a year.

Cheers and a big thanks to Dan for maintaining the Attendance module.  smile

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Dan Marsden
Re: Attendance Site Data Block
Group Core developersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Plugins guardiansGroup TestersGroup Translators

Thanks Don!

I've just pushed your code here:

https://github.com/danmarsden/moodle-block_attendance_csv_all/commits/master

I'll try to pick this up and make a few improvements over the next few weeks and then submit to the plugins db - let me know if you want your e-mail address changed to something else in the first commit there!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Don Hinkelman

Thanks!  I really appreciate that, Dan.  I hope people find it useful and whatever improvements you make will be good to see.

Picture of Mykl Belfatto

Hey Dan, I'm sure you know, but anyway...this uses table mdl_attforblock and you need to change it to mdl_attendance in /blocks/attendance_csv_all/get_csv.php for latest Attendance module...

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group Core developersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Plugins guardiansGroup TestersGroup Translators

thanks - I have a few changes in my local version that I haven't pushed yet (including that change) - will try to find time to spend on it sometime soon.

Picture of Mykl Belfatto

Hey Dan,

How's it going with this?  I would like to add a custom profile field to this report to sort for corporate clients.

So I'd like to get your latest mod smile  cheers

Picture of Mykl Belfatto

Hey Don, When I run this for an entire month, it seems like it's working, and then goes to a gray screen and never returns.  Have you had this problem_  Any ideas?  cheers, Mykl

Picture of Don Hinkelman

I get no problems, Mykl.  I just downloaded three months of data (it took two minutes to process) into an excel sheet OK.  We use Moodle 2.5.  Not sure why you are getting a grey screen.

Picture of Mykl Belfatto

Hey, I turned on debug messages and found that the system was timing out.  So I increased the time limit.

time!

This is a great block and could really help us. 

Currently, I see the block only shows the First Name of the Student. Would it be possible for someone to update the block to include student ID and/or Last name?

I could squeeze some funding for this if required. 

Picture of Don Hinkelman

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you like this block, and sorry it is not flexible enough to get the information you need. We pack in the student number *and* the full name into the firstname field, by the way. I am sure most schools don't do this.  smile

We have funding to update the block once a year in March.  So if you can't wait for me to fix it then, please take the code and get a local PHP programmer to adjust the fields as you like--it is probably an easy job to do--one to two hours of coding and testing. You might want to make selectable preferences so that firstname, lastname, fullname, studentnumber, etc. can be selected or just have all those fields output into the excel sheet.

Look on this thread, and you will see that Dan Marsden has some new changes that he has not committed yet. Perhaps we can ask him to share his latest version.  If he doesn't see this, Steve, send him a personal message.  Dan has a separate github location.

Here is our github location (just found out): https://github.com/VERSION2-Inc/moodle-block_attendance_csv_all 

If you make a new version, ask your programmer to upload it back there as a branch.  Then we can combine them in March 2016.

time!

Hi Don, 

Thank you for your swift and kind reply. I've been a long time lurker here and in the MAJ and thought to ambush you one day at a Moodle moot here in Japan and thank you for your many helpful posts. 

I'll look at the latest github versions, I think I found an earlier version before so your post is very helpful. 

Finally, I recall that the funding was limited for development each year in the MAJ. I know a lot of people are dedicated to moodle and I hope my company will be able to help out. It's something I have scheduled to discuss in our own yearly vision meetings. 

Picture of Dan Marsden

I'm not sure what happened to my local version of this - I don't think I pushed the code anywhere but it's nice to see the repo with the new changes! - I've just deleted my repo and forked your one so that your one shows as the "master" version.

thanks!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)