Courses and course formats

Course Structure

Picture of Shoaib Ahmad
Course Structure

Hi Friends,

I am struggling to create the following structure using moodle:

First, I want to create a course with many subjects. When a student clicks on course, he must be directed to a page where all the subjects are displayed. When any of the subject is clicked, it directs the student to the page where all the resources related to that subject are shown in tab form such as(videos, notes, quizzes etc). Within each tab, I want to place activities such as quizzes etc.

I have installed flexpage course format but I am not sure how to proceed.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Emma Richardson
Re: Course Structure
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Why not make a category with multiple courses in it.  Then each course would represent one subject.  You could use the tab format plugin for your layout.

Picture of Shoaib Ahmad

Thank you. It helped. Got it sorted out. Created category, subcategory and then courses.

Picture of Rick Jerz
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think you will find Moodle to be very flexible, with many ways to accomplish your goals.  When I read your question, it makes me think "Hmmm, this person is coming from a Blackboard environment".

I am not one who can describe the many ways to structure Moodle, but I can tell you what I do.

Moodle can organize a course by topic, what you call "subject".  Then, all of the materials needed for that topic can be put into this topic.  You can create a folder, if you wish, that might contain even more resources.  It's as simple as that.  In this way, students can easily see all of the topics and select the one that they are interested in.  The instructor can also "highlight" the current topic, which is what I do.

I like the add-in "Collapsed Topics" so that one can "collapse" completed topics.

If anything that I say is of interest to you, you are welcome to watch some of my videos that I give to students that show them how my course is using Moodle.