Courses and course formats

Course Access Restriction

Picture of Fay Rad
Course Access Restriction

Hi

Is their a way in Moodle 2.6 to allow each student to enroll in only one course at a time? This means they have to finish each course they are taking before they move to the next one.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
Gareth J Barnard
Re: Course Access Restriction
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Fay,

Not that I know of.  I don't think there is an enrolment plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=22) that would allow enrolment based upon the course completion of a course.  If there were then the students could be enrolled in the first course and then the rest could be daisy chained from that.

Cheers,

Gareth

Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Sure. In Course admin > course completion > Condition: completion of other courses.

You need to set course completion conditions in each course before they appear in the "courses available" list for any course.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Gareth J Barnard
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Awesome Ben, thank you, so many options and good features to remember.

Picture of Fay Rad

Thank you smile I'll try and see if it works.

Picture of Fay Rad

But this might cause a problem, what if they are not taking any other course at the moment? If we put a restriction of completing all other courses, they will have to go and complete those courses, even if they did not take it in the first place. Am I right?

Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

No. You choose only the course that needs to be completed. So, to enter B, you need to complete A. To enter C, you need to complete B, etc. You don't set A as having a completion condition. You just set that A has completion criteria.

I am assuming the courses are a sequence. Other arrangements are possible. You must complete A and B to enter C, D, or E. You must complete A, B, and D to enter F. A, B, and C to enter G or H. and so forth.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

But this won't prevent them from accessing the other courses. For example if course B has the completion condition of Course A then all that means is that before course B is completed, they must have completed Course A as well. But they can still access course B. See Course completion settings

Picture of Fay Rad

Thank you. The problem is that the courses are not a sequence, but I'll try completion conditions again

Picture of Wendi Daniels

There is this plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/view/availability_coursecompleted  but I cannot seem to get it to work. I have messaged the creator and hopefully I will hear back soon.

Picture of Wendi Daniels

The logic of the plugin is wrong: you cannot access the second course until you have completed the second course. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Picture of Wendi Daniels

I heard back from the creator, and the logic is not supposed to work as I had thought. What he said is this:

The plugin I made restricts access to modules and resources based on the completion of this course, not other courses. To restrict access in other courses, you have a far more complicated situation where user roles and enrolments are involved: you almost need a enrolment plugin based on course completion.

When you configure your course completions based on another course and then restrict the access of each section with my plugin, you could get the effect you want. However, this would create a very complex chain of conditions...

...and this is how you configure it...

• Course 1:
    • edit settings - enable course completion tracking
    • course completion - configure how participants can complete a course

• Course 2:
    • edit settings - enable course completion tracking
    • course completion - configure condition based on completion of other courses: select course 1

For each section : restrict access on course completion
This works for 1 course only, and misuses the course completion completely. Like I stated, you need an enrolment on course completion or a script that enrols users on course completion.