General developer forum

New Plugins Liaison

Picture of Helen Foster
New Plugins Liaison
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Dear Plugin developers,

I'm pleased to announce that David Mudrák is to take on the full-time role of Plugins Liaison.

In addition to performing manual checks as part of the plugin validation process (taking over from Aparup Banerjee) and developing additional functionality for the Plugins directory, David's work will also include supporting plugin developers, keeping them informed of development changes and gathering feedback to assist Moodle HQ.

Many thanks to Aparup for his work up to now as plugins facilitator and to Anthony Borrow who continues to help with plugin approvals on a volunteer basis.

Average of ratings:Useful (4)
Picture of Dave Balch
Re: New Plugins Liaison
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Cool, it's great to see an official role to help the plugin community smile

Cheers,
Dave.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Justin Hunt
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Great. It will be good to have a "go to" guy.

Picture of Don Hinkelman
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Great news, and welcome David. I just read your PhD is in pedagogy so it is wonderful to have a developer lead us with many perspectives. The tricky part of your job and Micheal's job will always be balancing the need to move important new contrib features into core and yet at the same time simplifying core for users. You are likely to be in the crossroads of those debates. smile  I also see your role as helping legitimize contrib plugins to the Moodle-using community. Do you know there are lots of institutions that totally ban third party plugins?  Perhaps that is a leftover from 1.9 wild-west, anything-goes plugin days, when adding a badly programmed block could literally shut down the whole site. But still that thinking persists.  Also, I have heard there are Moodle Partners that charge US$800/year per contrib plugin installed and 'maintained'.  Is that really necessary? I hope greater trust in quality-tested, approved plugins will help remove those kind of policies.

P.S.  I have a cool idea for a little handbook you could write: "David's Seven Secrets for Getting your Plugin Approved".  tongueout

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of David Mudrák
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Thanks everybody! We are just setting up some new communication channels (to complement the GDF) for discussions specific to plugins development. Stay tuned!

Don, thanks for wise words. I must admit I've always been pretty reserved when it comes to including contrib features into the standard distribution. HQ's current policy is to focus on developing Moodle core so it acts as a stable platform where admins plug add-ons to as they need. The "vanilla" Moodle core should stay as light as possible and if something can be implemented as a plugin, then it should be a plugin. Like an OS on a smartphone that comes with just basic set of semi-useful apps (and one stupid game that can't be uninstalled smile). That's why we significantly improved this area recently (automatic checks for available updates, on-click add-ons installation etc).

I fully understand that this model can work if and only if the contributed add-ons have acceptable quality. We are trying to come with some mechanisms to improve this soon (more peer-reviews, good practises highlights etc).

Picture of Itamar Tzadok
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

... or rather "David's Seven Secrets Open Sources for Getting your Plugin Approved". wink

Picture of David Mudrák
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

FYI, there is now a new blog like forum Plugins traffic monitoring the Moodle plugins development airspace. Subscribe there to keep up-to-date with latest news.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)