Grid Format- Text truncation

Grid Format- Text truncation

by Chris Chapman -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the swift reply and advice to post here, regarding your great course format.

one minor gripe I've had and put up with until someone else mentioned it was the text formatting. If you have more than one line for the Topic description, I primarily use version 2013081000  on our production site but looking to upgrade (along with M2.6 in september) to the latest 2.6.1.6 release which is installed on our development environment (2.6.2) which still appears to have the same issue.

I would like grid to format text to be aligned bottom (so that the 2nd or 3rd line is where the first would be if it wasn't wrapped) hope that makes sense?

current css fix (.course-content ul.gridicons li p.icon_content)-

white-space:inherit;

overflow-x:visible;

overflow-y:visible;

padding-bottom:12px;

}

2.6 with no fix applied where'd it go? lol

hope that helps Gareth and many thanks, are we on the same wavelength- Will?

Cheers,

Chris

VLE Apps Dev @ExeterCollege

Attachment 2.5_3_lines.PNG
Attachment 2.5_single_line.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Chapman

Re: Grid Format- Text truncation

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your description and screen shots.  The way I see it is there could be a setting to hide the section name in the grid as the image says what it needs to already.

I'm not sure about changing the size of the grid box as that may cause unexpected issues.  I'm both a developer and educator, so see from both sides of the coin.  Therefore I see that if a section name does not fit then educationally its too long and needs to be thought about.  Sections should have discrete titles and be succinct.

I'm busy with iMoot and other work at the moment, so will be a while before I can look at this.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by William Scott -

I posted the exact same thing yesterday (albiet with less detail :P).

We have long names as we use 'topics' as individual courses inside a bigger program.

Our 'topic' names are things like 'Introduction to Gas Pipeline Operations' or 'Gas Pipeline Components and Systems', all of these get truncated. So there is definately a reason as to why we are doing it.

In reply to William Scott

by Chris Chapman -

Thanks for your time to reply Gareth. Yes you are right, and wherever possible I have tried to 'educate' users to use their common sense and use titles 2 lines or shorter. For the majority of images they don't have the title- the examples I gave probably weren't the best as a couple were my courses which I try to include the title in the image!

it's an interesting case- I don't mind contributing? if you think its a worthy 'setting' in grid? e.g. have a UI to set how many lines you'd like 1,2 or 3 and have the text align to top of image as opposed to the top most line for text (if this makes sense)? think its something quite a few users would benefit from.

I'l have a crack at it when I've got some more development time!

All the best,

Chris

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chris and Will,

I have been thinking about this a little and pragmatically a CSS only fix will not work as you would want all the boxes to remain the same size.  The setting is an option, but what if the code automatically adjusted?  I.e. it looked at the length of the section name strings, found the longest one and then set the height accordingly for all?

With iMoot and other commercial pressures I do not have time to look at this for a month or two.  In the mean time, there is already the ability to set the size and ratio of the grid containers to fit:

Grid container settings

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by William Scott -

Hey mate,

If you come up with anything can you let me know?

I'm also in the process of fiddling with it so if I come up with anything first I'll let you know

Cheers

- Will

In reply to William Scott

by Chris Chapman -
As will I Will. Yes Gareth, ideally that's what we want, we're just fiddling around trying to work out how to do just that! cheers, hope the iMoot goes well.

Regards

Chris