Teaching with Moodle

Tip: Easier grading with Moodle 2.7

Mary Cooch
Tip: Easier grading with Moodle 2.7
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Grading's never going to be easy, whether on paper or on Moodle. If you have many students and assignments it's always going to be time-consuming and onerous.

However....

some of the frustrations I felt when grading with Moodle over the last few years have now been resolved in the latest release of Moodle, out this week. I thought I would highlight some here to whet the appetites of teachers in anticipation of their organisation being ready to upgrade:

1. Search for students:

If you share a course with other teachers and you each have your own classes you can filter the gradebook by group but that could still leave you with a large class to sift through. You can now search by student firstname or surname, which is a great time saver.

2. See who's not done the work:

You can filter the students to "not submitted” which means you can quickly see which students haven't yet submitted. Another handy fix!

3. Scroll the gradebook:

If you have a lot of assignments, a horizontal scrollbar allows you to move to the last one. That's not so useful however, as the scrollbar is at the bottom, by student Z. If you have a class of 30 students and you want to see how student A did in assignment 20, you have to scroll across and then up...

Now there is a horizontal scrollbar at the top as well. Great stuff! Sometimes the small things make all the difference; this is one of them.

Moodle's gradebook is very powerful but its power has also brought with it a level of complexity that can be overawing to some. If you'd like to help shape the future of the gradebook and make grading even easier for teachers, please complete the gradebook survey .

Average of ratings:Useful (7)
Matt Bury
Re: Tip: Easier grading with Moodle 2.7
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Thanks Mary. It's good to see generally useful, time-saving filters being included in core Moodle smile

Average of ratings: -
C'est Moi....

Wondering:

Option 2: Will the students have something similar?  Can the tell at a glance whether or not they submitted or missed an assignment? My students are asking for this.

Option 3, is the HSB independent of the VSB? IE: Can both HSBs be off the screen?
And, If we scroll right, do the names still disappear? (Freeze panes as can in Excel?)

Option 4 (?)  Has the "Add A Block" block been modified to let us dock it or move it to the right side where it will not take up valuable real estate in Edit Mode?

Anticipating with worm on tongue....

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Steve 0 

Option 2 - I don't think so, yet. It would be nice to have the My home assignment notification to change when assignments have been submitted, rather than for the due date.

Option 3 - I'm not quite sure what you mean about Vertical scroll bar but the students' names won't disappear if you enable static student column in  Site admin>Grades>Report settings>Grader report (which is similar as the Excel freeze panes I guess)

Option 4 - seems not but I agree, would be good smile

I don't know what worm on tongue means, sorry smile

C'est Moi....

"I don't know what worm on tongue means, sorry "

(a)bated breath.....   (-:

Picture of Mike Verna

For Option 2, I find "Checklist" very useful for students to keep track of what they have complete.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
C'est Moi....

And this "CheckList" is where? What? How? etc.....

Sounds good,

Picture of Chris Chapman

Hi Steve, 

Checklist is a series of Plugins that can be added to your core build- I highly recommend them

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Checklist_module 

and download links in the Plugin Store

https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=7

Hope this helps.

New features, look good, how come these weren't mentioned at the ukmoot?!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Doug Moody

Chris,

The first link you referenced says this feature is in Moodle 2.5, yet you say it is a 2.7 feature.

Which one is correct?

Mary Cooch

The checklist add on Chris references has been around a long while. It's not a new 2.7 feature.

Picture of Doug Moody

Thank you Mary.

I didn't really mean Chris said it was 2.7, but this thread is about 2.7 features, so I assumed it was a new feature in 2.7

Picture of Chris Chapman

Sorry guys, I was replying to Steve's query, no it's not new- but does assist with marking criteria and workflow.

Picture of Stephen Gibbs Jr.

Mary,

Thanks for showing how the filters works!  Is anything being worked on so that you can see the name of the items that you are grading (Grader report) at the top when you scroll up and down just like what was done with the rosters?  These can be locked and we have done this and it really helps but now we have had requests to do the same thing with the vertical scrolling.  What do you think?  Thanks!

Picture of Francis Kneebone

Very welcome features to the Grading / Sorting process.  Especially the 'Not Submitted' filter. 

Thanks!